One of the worst feelings in the world if you're a member here...

Just FYI, the auto places are more diligent about looking for contaminants in the oil.
Because the companies that they sell it to (or that they pay to take it) can "penalize" them if the wrong stuff is in it. I think if there's (too much) anti-freeze, they can't recycle it and the entire batch has to disposed of as hazardous waste. In the past, some places would let you dump it in the tank yourself but none of the parts stores do that anymore. At O'Reilly, you go to the back door and you can help carry them in, then sign the form. The guy will sniff the contents before dumping it in too.

Karma really is interesting.

The AutoZone I went to on the first day is where an old friend of mine works. He was actually the one who came out to my car and grabbed the 2 jugs out of my trunk. We walked them to the back, set them down, and he said he'd dump them later. We then went back up front so he could get me a few part prices. Before I left, he gave me his number for something we had discussed, but for some reason mine wasn't given or asked for. Well, when I called the next day, it was to the store phone and a random employee told me there wasn't any back there. So Saturday I send my buddy a text asking if he happened to catch my screw up. I got a call about 3 hours later and he said "I figured you'd either call or show up at some point. Yep, I have them. I opened one and poured about an ounce out when I caught it, but the other is still sealed. I would have called you, but neither of us thought to get your number." So I go to pick them up. He hands me both jugs...1 sealed, and the other looks completely full (so he didn't really pour any out at all). I thanked him profusely for saving my skin, and offered him the full one as a thank you. He didn't accept at first, but after I insisted, he agreed to take the open one, because his truck takes 6 quarts, but his Echo only takes about 3.5 and loses about a quart between changes so he said that would be perfect. I gained 1 that I already wrote off, he gained 1. Win-win.

Now I can stop having oil pour nightmares :LOL:

Why did you use the original containers for the used oil? That's kinda like filling empty beer bottles with your own....never mind.

For clarification, I usually use a large 4(?) gallon container that has a screw-on lid, but I've been using the jugs lately because I've been mixing in tiny amounts (an ounce or two at a time) of really stale gasoline to get rid of about 1/3 of a gallon I extracted out of a gas tank replacement job we did on a truck that had been sitting for an eternity. "Fuel dilution." I figure tiny amounts are in used oil anyway. To my knowledge, nobody in my area deals with recycling/properly disposing odd chemicals, so it's all I know to do to keep it from going somewhere really bad like the trash, wastewater drains, etc (I would never do that). At least they are used to dealing with fuel dilution. If it was a larger amount, obviously I'd have to take a different approach, but it was 1/3 of a gallon.

I no longer have any stale gasoline, so back to my usual container...

Why did you use the original containers for the used oil? That's kinda like filling empty beer bottles with your own....never mind.
The original containers are absolutely ideal for storing the old oil. They're the right size, they're available, they have secure lids/caps, etc, etc.

I also thought you were going to say they spilled in the trunk.

I am guessing these were some of the clearance/rebate jugs, if so, at least it is not that much cost wise that you lost, but those 10 qts of goodness gone, it is like when AAP has their $0.05 oil that they dump in their used oil tank.

I made a similar mix-up error a few years back and started to pour USED oil right back into my vehicle! Thankfully, only a few ounces but that was bone headed.

Now, I mark the used containers as such, and I write the dates of purchase on my new jugs so I have a visual check and keep them in rotation so oldest is used first.

In DE at the local state/county transfer station has an area for recycling. The used oil container machine automatically does a UOA on the oil and if it determines it's virgin oil it then closes the cover so you cannot pour in the oil. And gives you a print out of the VOA.

1) ^^I have the sneakiest suspicion Donald's pulling our collective leg.^^

2) Years ago a friend unearthed (by moving big machinery) 7 jugs of drained coolant. He said he wanted to let it settle then reuse it. He had a notion of buying "coolant revival pills" or some such. He gave them to me to pour into our recycling drum.
NOTE: The dirt had settled "100%", leaving an OK LOOKING fluid.

3) There was one unopened jug of old fashioned green included. My sister's Jeep could've used it but I returned it 'cause he hadn't done anything bad recently enough via which I could justify keeping it.

See.....forgive people and you lose anti-freeze.

Honestly, that would have been highly preferred because I always transport oil in a sealed jug and put the sealed jugs inside another liquid-proof container. Double insurance. Learned that lesson about 13 years ago, thankfully in a beater.
My used oil jugs inside of an old ice chest works great in the trunk or truck bed to the oil collection spots.... it reusable too! + No mess.

My drain oil goes into a 5-gallon gas container - immediately after the vehicle is lowered to the ground. The problem with this system is there have been times when the container is already full.

Back