One of the worst feelings in the world if you're a member here...

I had a bunch of used oil scattered around, so I finally had a few minutes to take it and get rid of it yesterday. There were 3 Magnatec jugs, 4 Rotella Gas Truck jugs, and a Mobil 1 Truck & SUV jug, each grouped with their own kind, but each group was separated. I gathered the 8 jugs and took it to the closest O'Reilly. A sign on the door said their used oil tank was full. So I then went to the next closest place which was an AutoZone. They said they'd take up to 5 jugs, so he grabbed two and I grabbed 3 out of my trunk. We walked them to the back and he said to set them down and leave them, he'd pour them out later. I ran out of time and didn't go to the next closest store 15 minutes away. Today, I go to an O'Reilly in a neighboring city to dump the rest. He had me go to the back and pour them out myself, along with my bucket of used filters. I pour the last Magnatec jug out, then go to pour out the last 2 RGT jugs. The RGT jug was a bit difficult to open, and when I heard a "crack" I realized I made a mistake. Both RGT jugs were still sealed and unopened!

Then I became a bit sick to my stomach...there were 4 of those jugs :sick:. After a useless phone call to check if they didn't pour them yet or if they realized they weren't used oil, I had to accept that I just poured two good jugs down the drain or made an observant employee's day. On the bright side, I caught two of them. But I didn't catch the other two...

That's what I get for not being my usual self. Perfectly organized, everything in it's proper place, and calm & collected. My life the last two months has been like a racing event. Go go go, no time to think. It's taxing, both figuratively and now literally.

Lesson learned, pour the oil myself and always check the seals before pouring.

That's not THAT big of a deal.

I thought you were going to tell a story how two or more of the jugs poured out inside your car en-route.
Honestly, that would have been highly preferred because I always transport oil in a sealed jug and put the sealed jugs inside another liquid-proof container. Double insurance. Learned that lesson about 13 years ago, thankfully in a beater.

Don't change your oil @ jiffy lube or the stealership. Change it yourself and careless errors won't be made.... oh wait, wrong thread. j/k. Throw it on the pile of BITOGr no harm done fups

I put my used oil in a wide mouth used oil container. It can hold at least 2 oil changes worth of used oil. My local oil collection place is self serve and very close to my house.

Wonder what the guy dumping it out thought that the oil was still sealed.

Reactions: JC1
I imagine somebody noticed a sealed container and took home some free motor oil...

I have a 300 gallon tank and have it emptied periodically.

I thought this was going to be another post about how members get treated here at BITOG.
That's a bad feeling to know you threw/gave away 2 containers of new oil. 🥴
Same … instead he upgraded the recycling to make it go better !

If your problems can be fixed with money and you have the money, you have no problems. Go visit people in the nearest ICU ward; then thank God you can complain on BITOG. I've done dumber things myself, but I'm going to leave my skeletons in the closet. ;)
Yep … even a filter gasket left behind is worse … way bigger mess when that oil is wasted 😷

Back