One Month Review - 2014 Accord EX-L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's been a month and 2,500 miles in the Accord. First time Honda buyer, long time admirer. For the past ten years, I've had VW products. A mix of Jetta's and Passat's in both the gas and diesel versions. I was pretty die hard, but the thought of owning one long term with some upcoming life changes really made me a bit uneasy. So, after some shopping, I bought the Accord. EX-L, 2.4, CVT.

2,500 miles in one month is a lot for me, and the next month and a half promises to bring about 2,500-3,000 more miles with work travel.

The first thing I noticed is the fit and finish. Frankly, it's better than any VW I have owned. The way the doors close, the materials...all better. Also, a lot of nice features for the money. Lane departure, forward crash warning, lane watch, and dual zone climate. All unavailable in the last Jetta I bought, a 13. However, it looks like the 15 Jetta will get these as options.

The Accord is also much quieter than my Jetta. Taking the diesel out of the equation, it’s still much quieter. Less road noise, limited engine noise, and a much better overall ride. Loving this, as I spend a lot of time behind the wheel each month. Very easy to drive and I feel much more relaxed when I arrive after a long trip. Also a lot more room in the Accord, but that’s not the Jetta’s fault.
smile.gif

I’ll touch on the much debated item with Honda fans – The CVT. I’ll admit that was one con when considering the Honda. I was not thrilled at first, as it seemed a bit ‘juddery,’ but it seems to have smoothed out. It’s not a traditional automatic, but it’s really growing on me. While it gives the false perception that 0-60 runs are slow, they aren’t. They are just a little anti-climatic.

Engine wise, I really debated on the V6. However, I wanted to maximize MPG, as I do a decent amount of in town driving. While I’d always love more power, the 4 is more than adequate. It’s not a killer off of the line, but passing and merging are quick…surprisingly so. Moreover, it’s got plenty of legs to cruise at 80+ without making a fuss. Very happy with the 4, and it sounds very nice under hard acceleration. On my highway trips I am seeing 37-40 MPG with about 80% of that being highway. In mixed everyday driving I am seeing about 30-31. I’m happy with that and think it will inch up a little with more break in.

So what about the things I am not crazy about? The stereo. 370 watts with a sub, but it’s weak. Just not what I expected coming from the Fender in the Jetta. Bluetooth. It works pretty well, but making a call by name is cumbersome. Paint. This is a stretch, but I am a detailing enthusiast. Hondas are known for soft paint, the opposite of the VW norm. Great in that it is easy to correct, albeit it fussy at times, but frustrating because it can mar easier. Give and take, I guess. Lastly, single exhaust. The rear looks so much better filled out with twin outlets like the sport and touring have. It can be made that way with OEM parts and some welding, but it is pricey.

Overall, I’m very happy with the car. I love driving it and it’s the first car I’ve had in a long time that when people ask me how I like it I say, “I love it.” VW will always have a place in my heart, but Honda is doing a good job of making me think less about my beloved VW’s. I’m also loving the overall ease of future maintenance and the price of oil changes.

Last edited:
Quote:
It can be made that way with OEM parts and some welding, but it is pricey.
Do the fake one then; AccordForum has somebody who did that and it may be cheesy but it looks great.

I have a 2010 Honda Fit.

I am still in love with it.

Next car will probably be another Fit, or CR-V.

I can only imagine how awesome an Accord is if I'm happy with a Fit!!

What's the attraction of a phony dual exhaust? It probably weighs more, costs more, and contributes nothing that a properly designed single outlet won't do. A REAL dual systemona V engine is a different story. At least spray paint the "Y"pipe flat black, I laugh every time I see one.

I owned VW's until I discovered Honda. My 89 Scirocco was a great car. I really liked it but an 84 Audi 4000 Quattro and a Rabbit that fell apart did it for me. Never a VW again except for air cooled buses. My 84 Civic wagon, purchased new is still going.

I had some great VW's, don't get me wrong. I also had a dud or two. My best was an 09 TDI that I ran 52,000 miles in one year. (dont ask) I have a feeling the Honda will be with me for a long while

Honda 4 cyl. engines are awesome but their A/T's weren't very good even before they went to the CVT. If I bought another new Honda it would be a manual transmission.

PS: I'm liking the 2015 VW Golf but VW reliability isn't very good....what was your VW experience?

Overall, VW reliability was pretty good. Issues with the DSG on a couple of cars and a decent amount of rattles in almost all.

I felt like they really cheapened the car in the last few years.

The repairs I had were under warranty, but had they not been, the DSG repairs would have been in the thousands. On one TDI I had the mechatronics unit replaced 3 times..3! 1700 each time. Yikes.

Glad you like it, as miller said, keep us updated on the CVT. I love the new Accord but Im not sure I would choose the CVT. There is not enough long term data to say they are reliable yet.

Had a brand new 67 Beetle, 1920 bucks total pay out, it was the best small ride I have ever owned for the price, but then again , gas was 28 cents a gallon then, 2 bucks usually filled it up.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81

So what about the things I am not crazy about? The stereo. 370 watts with a sub, but it’s weak.

If that is the same system as in our '08 Acura, I couldn't agree more. And to think Acura thought it was worth bragging on....Geez...
15.gif

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

So what about the things I am not crazy about? The stereo. 370 watts with a sub, but it’s weak.

If that is the same system as in our '08 Acura, I couldn't agree more. And to think Acura thought it was worth bragging on....Geez...
15.gif

So an Acura is really a Honda worth bragging about????
wink.gif

I still love my 1999 Accord, 4cyl with A/T. Not a single problem other than a mirror selector switch that was replaced under warranty, many years ago. The driver side seatbelt reel is just starting to get a bit lazy on the retract.

My Accord has the 4 corner double wishbone suspension, handles beautifully on curvy mountain roads.

Even the air conditioner still pumps out cold air, heater works like new as well.

I've done my own maintenance since day one, and that was OK with Honda as long as I kept receipts for materials. I also keep a detailed maintenance log on my computer.

I just love this car and always look forward to a long road trip in it, its solid and so reliable.

Glad you like yours, too.

I rented a 2014 Accord LX and I thought it was a great car. CVT was actually quite a surprise how smooth it was from 40 MPH to 100.

But I really don't trust a Honda CVT for longevity. 6 speed manual for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I rented a 2014 Accord LX and I thought it was a great car. CVT was actually quite a surprise how smooth it was from 40 MPH to 100.

But I really don't trust a Honda CVT for longevity. 6 speed manual for me.

Fixed it. If I had to choose a CVT, it would be a Honda. Nissan has been in the game for a long time but they still have issues.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Fixed it. If I had to choose a CVT, it would be a Honda. Nissan has been in the game for a long time but they still have issues.

Really? Honda automatics have not been all that reliable as of late too.... Probably a tossup no matter how you go.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Why are you comparing the Accord to the Jetta? Wouldn't the Passat be it's counterpart?

The Jetta was the car I traded in for the accord...

Overall, I’m very happy with the car. I love driving it and it’s the first car I’ve had in a long time that when people ask me how I like it I say, “I love it.”

This is great to hear. I enjoy our CR-V more every day I drive it. It's still a relative youngster, with about 94k miles on the odometer. But it drives wonderfully, returns good fuel economy (I average about 23-25 mpg on my commute), has a great driving position (I prefer more upright seating), and it's just really enjoyable to own.

I personally would lose zero sleep over the CVT. If you had to make a purchase decision based on perceived reliability problems of the past, there wouldn't be a single brand you'd buy. Our Honda 5-speed automatics have 113k miles (our V-6) and 94k miles (our I-4) and both run like clocks.

My advice is to just drive and enjoy your car. Maintain it as recommended in the manual and experience what should be many years of enjoyable driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back