One man brake fluid flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
While strolling through YouTube car videos, I ran across this one about a cheap way to do a one man brake fluid flush. Seems like it would work well especially to keep out air getting into the system. Would be interested in hearing if anyone has used this method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0SYcbzIbo

It might get the air out fine, but I think actually flushing the line would be slower.
This works just fine: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4242884/1

[Linked Image]

I use a one-man system that is simpler. I crack open the bleeder a bit and pump away. A line is plumbed from the bleeder screw to a receptacle. When only cracked open, the force will push the fluid out with very little slurped back in on the return stroke. Been doing this for 15 years.

Ive used this method for years and it works perfectly as long as the hose on the bleeder is airtight. I recently bought a power bleeder from HF and it is a lot faster for just a few bucks more than an orange juice bottle and hose. :)

I just did a Ram 1500 with mity vac and worked great. Be using this method for years as I never have had a second person freed up to pump.

Originally Posted by MarkM66
Gravity bleed works well for me.

I've always done the two person method on my Maxima but noted recently in my FSM it says you should disconnect the battery first - presumably so the ABS components are flushed. I would assume gravity method will also flush the ABS components albeit a lot slower? I've always worried about what folks say about the two-person method and also this one person bottle method pushing the MC piston past normal stop points. Even if you use a block of wood under the pedal to prevent a full depression, it will still go past where it would have normally stopped so have been thinking gravity for my next job myself. However, my official FSM does indicate using two-person method on my car FWIW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MarkM66
Gravity bleed works well for me.

I've attempted it in the past but it took forever.

Russell Speed Bleeders and that set up. Put small amount of silicone paste around bleeder threads in case air is getting by the sealant that came on bleeders. Worked for me since 08. War department no longer required to pump brake pedal as in olden days.

I always bled by myself and my "brake board". I use the clear bottle, clear tubing and the board to wedge between the seat and brake pedal to hold the pedal down after its descent while I tighten the bleeder screw, preventing air/fluid from getting sucked back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back