One Hot Ford Super Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trailer full of water it was pulling when it burned to the ground is what makes the incident truly hilarious.

Typical Ford engineering. Bring 500 gallons of water, but no bucket to move it 15 feet.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Is it exploding in one picture!?

Radiator bursting? Looks like water spraying forward. But some others look like flaming chunks shooting upward. Impressive. And not in a good way.

Originally Posted By: BubbaFL
The trailer full of water it was pulling when it burned to the ground is what makes the incident truly hilarious.

Typical Ford engineering. Bring 500 gallons of water, but no bucket to move it 15 feet.
crazy2.gif

Yeah, those silly Ford guys! Government Motors or the Italians would just send it to the sales floor and have us find out these things.

Just remember what Edward Norton did in Fight Club

Originally Posted By: LotI
Just remember what Edward Norton did in Fight Club

More like Ed Norton... and Ralph Kramden!

"Whaddya mean you didn't bring the fire extinguisher? Bang, zoom, to the moon!"

grin.gif

This was being talked about on the Ford-Trucks forums. Apparently it's not all that uncommon for these test vehicles to have fires because of all the extra stuff they have to put in them to be able to do their testing. Here's what a former Ford engineer had to say about it.

Originally Posted By: Mark Kovalsky
While a blaze that bad never happened to me, I did have fires on test vehicles. They were small and I was able to put them out without much damage.

Test vehicles have many temperature, flow, and pressure sensors installed. These will be in fuel, coolant, and oil lines. A failed test sensor can spray hot, flammable fluid throughout the engine compartment. This has nothing to do with a production vehicle, it is a hazard of modifying a vehicle to be able to measure what engineers need to know to develop the product.

I would not be at all concerned about a fire on a test vehicle. That doesn't mean the production vehicles are susceptible to fires.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1328840-ouch-2016-burned-down.html?styleid=22

That sounds reasonable but what else is he going to say?
We think we have it whipped, it should be okay in production just don't park it in your garage and get good fire insurance.

Any other maker, I'd agree with that Ford guy.

But isn't Ford like #1 when it comes to mysterious fires? Ignition switches come to mind, cruise control another.

[I'm sure all the OEM's have had a "hot" vehicle or two. Ford comes first to mind though. We also haven't had a good Ford bashing in a while.]

The original VW Beetle was the worst i can remember.
Stop at a red light and all of a sudden your a Buddhist if you didn't see the flames roaring out the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back