One Hot Ford Super Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that the next latest and greatest engine design run through rigorous testing? Is it ready for sale to the public to do the final testing? LOL

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Is it ready for sale to the public to do the final testing? LOL

Sad to say but it seems that way some times and not just by Ford.

This is exactly why automakers do these tests. It burns to the ground during testing, automaker figures out why and fixes it before it goes into production so it doesn't happen to the consumer. I don't see what the big deal is, cars (not just Fords, but all kinds of cars) catch fire during testing all the time.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I don't see what the big deal is, cars (not just Fords, but all kinds of cars) catch fire during testing all the time.

If you read MotorTrend, AutoWeek, etc., you will see test cars, even very expensive performance models, catch fire in testing more frequently that you'd think. That's why they're 'test' vehicles. But I'm sure every naysayer in this thread does everything perfect the first time, always. So what do I know...

Originally Posted By: Trav
I think that generally true but it didn't help the Pinto or some of these electric cars did it.

Technically the Pinto didn't just "catch fire" though. It had a propensity to rupture the fuel tank upon rear impact, which then could lead to a potential fuel fire.

It was an issue with the vehicle's crashworthiness.

Originally Posted By: supton
Any other maker, I'd agree with that Ford guy.

But isn't Ford like #1 when it comes to mysterious fires? Ignition switches come to mind, cruise control another.

Fords and fire has been a running source of car-guy humor for at least 30 years. I don't really think its statistically significant or correct to say Fords are more prone to fires... but given the fact that the old Ford Flathead v8 was famous for being prone to overheating and adding in a few high-visibility fire-related issues since then, it has taken on a life of its own. Fords catch fire. Toyotas run away at high speed all on their own.
smile.gif

As others have said- it was a test vehicle. Nobody was all over Honda to the same extent when the new NSX roasted itself recently. Stuff happens, often caused not by the vehicle at all but by the test equipment.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Is it ready for sale to the public to do the final testing? LOL

Sad to say but it seems that way some times and not just by Ford.

Exactly- and I've said on this board more than once I'm a Ford guy. I was having some fun. Sadly many of the auto makers don't do enough testing, and the consumer does the bulk of the testing.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I think that generally true but it didn't help the Pinto or some of these electric cars did it.

Technically the Pinto didn't just "catch fire" though. It had a propensity to rupture the fuel tank upon rear impact, which then could lead to a potential fuel fire.

True.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

The Pinto was no more or less prone to catch fire than any other car of the era.
Here's a good read: http://www.pointoflaw.com/articles/The_Myth_of_the_Ford_Pinto_Case.pdf

Same with the GM pickups and their side saddle gas tanks.

Sensationalist "Journalists" are the only ones that deemed these vehicles "unsafe".

And if you don't think cost/benefit/death analysis doesn't happen all the time you need to get your head out of the sand. Not pleasant to think about but it's the reality.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Must be a new feature to quickly "fire up" the cats...

CAFE? Get those cats hot fast for that extra 1/1000th of a mpg........
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Must be a new feature to quickly "fire up" the cats...

If this is their solution ... I'll stick with my Fords idling at 2500 on a cold morning to light the cats!

Is it too much, to mount a couple of $50 fire extinguishers in the bed?

If someone had, Ford might still have something left to do a post mortem on, and actually *learn* something out of all of this.... instead of leaving a molten pile of [censored] alongside the road for the state to clean up.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

If someone had, Ford might still have something left to do a post mortem on, and actually *learn* something out of all of this.... instead of leaving a molten pile of [censored] alongside the road for the state to clean up.

The conversation probably went like this ...

"Well something done caught fire"
"Yup - we should stop that something from catching fire"

I see vehicles with M-plates on a daily basis... often dressed in varying degrees of camoflauge. I have yet to see one catch fire.

This was a fluke, and could have just as well happened to any vehicle. The difference would have been that there wasn't a spy photographer there to take pictures.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Someone apparently tried to use an extinguisher and failed miserably. Probably went up way too quickly for an extinguisher to do much.

025SuperDutyfire-lg.jpg

Not much to clean up is there? An all new insurance fraud scheme in the making, burn it and toss it in the dumpster. LOL JK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back