One Florida McDonald’s offers $50 to anyone who interviews for a job

A local restaurant decided that they were tired of having to search for employees, so they offered $20/hour as their minimum pay, they are now fully staffed. This is for a sit down decent (but not fancy) restaurant in Richmond VA (not a high cost of living area). Wish I knew the owner so I could follow up in 6 months to see how it is playing out.

A local restaurant decided that they were tired of having to search for employees, so they offered $20/hour as their minimum pay, they are now fully staffed. This is for a sit down decent (but not fancy) restaurant in Richmond VA (not a high cost of living area). Wish I knew the owner so I could follow up in 6 months to see how it is playing out.
It may work out if the staff is held to decent standards and communication goes well.

My father-in-law owns several five star restaurants. He has started north of $20 an hour for years. In order to retain the highest caliber of employee, his conduct standards are kept very high. One instance of being late without calling, unless a very good and documented excuse is provided, and the person is fired. One reasonable complaint from a customer about an employee being rude or incompetent, and the person is fired. As a result, word has spread and he rarely has to hire, keeping a staff of mostly very long-term dedicated employees.

Will these people eventually go back to work now that unemployment benefits are ending ?

They have built a brand new Burger King in my small town - not able to open for lack of employees
Maybe the days of fast food franchises owned by large corporations has peaked? Possibly the old model of a family running a independent single facility restaurant will replace these franchises? Who knows.

All I know is McDonalds struggles to consistently deliver a diet coke with the right mix. Something unheard of twenty years ago. I eat McDonalds burgers only out of need/ convenience, never out of desire. I use to enjoy MCD food, nut not any more.

I do find their coffee ok as long as I purchase it at peak morning hours.

Maybe the days of fast food franchises owned by large corporations has peaked? Possibly the old model of a family running a independent single facility restaurant will replace these franchises? Who knows.

All I know is McDonalds struggles to consistently deliver a diet coke with the right mix. Something unheard of twenty years ago. I eat McDonalds burgers only out of need/ convenience, never out of desire. I use to enjoy MCD food, nut not any more.

I do find their coffee ok as long as I purchase it at peak morning hours.
I'm not sure what you even mean by this. McDonalds has about 650 company stores out of 13,000, the rest are franchises and most franchises own multiple stores. One guy I know knows the owner of 7 local ones and another guy that has 20 of them. On the flip side Starbucks is all company owned. There's no particular mix that has an advantage over another. Remember when Colonel Sanders was around, he used to rail against the QC that the stores had so have meh food isn't a new thing. Sanders died in 1980.

I'm not sure what you even mean by this. McDonalds has about 650 company stores out of 13,000, the rest are franchises and most franchises own multiple stores. One guy I know knows the owner of 7 local ones and another guy that has 20 of them. On the flip side Starbucks is all company owned. There's no particular mix that has an advantage over another. Remember when Colonel Sanders was around, he used to rail against the QC that the stores had so have meh food isn't a new thing. Sanders died in 1980.
Maybe the model of a corporation owning multiple fast food franchises has peaked. My Daughter's father-in-law owned a corporation that had 63 Burger King restaurants. He sat in a office all day looking at profit and loss statements, and for additional stores to purchase. He was not focused on the individual Burger King store. If it made money, he kept it. If it didn't- he closed it or sold it. Maybe that model doesn't work when you can't get employees at low wages and minimal benefits.

My Wolf's burgers and fresh cut fries will replace shuttered franchises in home town Massachusetts. And GON's chicken and biscuits will replace KFC in hometown South Carolina. Wolf will be at his store, making sure every order is cooked properly and the store is clean. Wolf's will not even take credit cards, only cash. Nut people will bring cash because Wolf's food is so good, the restaurant is so clean, and Wolf the owner is there everyday from open to close to ensure the high standards are maintained. And when Wolf goes to Vegas on vacation with a bug wad of cash in hos pocket, his Brother will watch the store for him.

That is what I mean.

On the flip side Starbucks is all company owned.
I believe there are limited exceptions to that, for example, some Kroger and Target locations have Starbucks inside of them and I know for certain with Kroger and presume Target is the same, but they are not corporate-owned by Starbucks. The workers are Kroger employees.

Or, in the town I grew up, there is a Starbucks inside one of the hospitals as well as one of the colleges and they are owned/operated by those operations, not Starbucks.

Here is another example of why the typical fast food franchise model (MCD, BK, Wendy's, etc) may have peaked and on the decline, yet restaurant that is the owners only interest, is where the profit per store and future may be. It is well known Chik-fil-A, per store, outperforms all its other fast food peers, even though they are only open six days per week.

Chick-fil-A franchisees must be free of any other business ventures​

The company wants their franchisees to be completely hands-on, and devoted solely to their Chick-fil-A franchise. In other words, if you are a serial entrepreneur: this is not the right franchise for you. They do not give a clear reason for this, but one could conclude that the company is not interested in creating conglomerates, and values quality over quantity.

Last edited:
If they can't get workers, then employers are not offering enough; once they do, they'll have people coming in to apply.

Example:

Nobody wants to work. Saw this at tractor supply today.
.Department Manager near me is paying $13-$16 per hour. Chick-Fil-A is starting their regular line employees at $17 an hour.

Chick fil A hasn't opened their dining rooms yet, and I'm not waiting in line for 30 minutes to get a sandwich. Sometimes you don't want to sit in your car and eat.

I forsee some fast food restaurants going to 100 percent drive thru. Probably more profitable for them to throw food at people and have them drive away. Less upkeep as well.

If they can't get workers, then employers are not offering enough; once they do, they'll have people coming in to apply.
The Wendys near my work changed their front sign from the usual "Now hiring..." to "Now hiring 14-15 year olds". They're clearly desperate and people simply aren't applying (for whatever reason they have).

Here is another example of why the typical fast food franchise model (MCD, BK, Wendy's, etc) may have peaked and on the decline, yet restaurant that is the owners only interest, is where the profit per store and future may be. It is well known Chik-fil-A, per store, outperforms all its other fast food peers, even though they are only open six days per week.
Well retail has been saturated for a long time and that which we can't name has also had an impact on sales in general. I'd also blame the store manager/general manager for the quality of the food in addition to the owner. McDonalds use to offer that free burger if you filled out a survey but that seems to have gone away. One way for them to keep track of their franchises. I suppose you should just complain directly to corporate.

Well retail has been saturated for a long time and that which we can't name has also had an impact on sales in general. I'd also blame the store manager/general manager for the quality of the food in addition to the owner. McDonalds use to offer that free burger if you filled out a survey but that seems to have gone away. One way for them to keep track of their franchises. I suppose you should just complain directly to corporate.
I have zero complaint.

MCD target customer appears to be a uncaring consumer. I don't match that, would rather go hungry. Why would I ever waste my time complaining.... lol.....

My posts on this thread suggests MCD and its peer fast food chains and their current model of one organization owning dozens or even hundreds of franchises has peaked, and are on a irreversible long term decline. May be a very slow death..... but it is coming. Just ask Sears about what happens when you change your model and provide your customer poor quality in product, selection, service, and atmosphere.

BTW- Sears of Mexico broke off from Sears USA on or about 2016. Sears in Mexico is doing fantastic, opening new stores every year and making higher annual gross and net profits year over year.

Back