One Florida McDonald’s offers $50 to anyone who interviews for a job

Those should be left to professional landlord with enough capital to handle the risk, and be bought with a discount.

For what we have gotten so far, the only combination that works for us is: 1) high credit score (720 cut off for us), 2) high enough income so they won't be living paycheck to paycheck, 3) low enough rent and good upkeep to make it an attractive place that many tenants want to compete for (below market for the quality we provide), so the honest tenants know it is a good deal and if they got evicted they will end up with higher rent elsewhere. Yes you lose some money but it is less headache if they know they will lose out if they get kicked out.

Ethnicity or age really doesn't do well for us, nor job title.
The other thing is that I've given up chasing top rents. You get the worse tenants that are willing to pay the top rent because they've been rejected everywhere else and no one else applies to the expensive places so they're your only choice. When you price them a little below market, then you get a lot more choices.

...nor job title.
Your entire post is very reasonable and makes a win-win for both landlord and responsible tenant. This statement I copied, however, is often ignored.

A BHPH car lot may not run one’s credit but will view the last few paycheck stubs— all too often, so do landlords. Sadly I know some such folks. A job title and a nice paycheck don’t combine to mean that the individual is fiscally-responsible.

I know couples where both are competent physicians but leveraged in debt to their eyeballs. I also know several very wise young people who work in retail and are living at home so they can minimize expenses while saving every penny up for a car or house.

One such young man I was amazed to see purchase a new car earlier this year, entirely in cash, and then immediately enter his career field of choice. He’s my friend’s grandson and at age 20 is more “money wise” than most people I know who are older than me. Now laser-focused on education and advancing in his field after working at only a local retail establishment for years.

Those should be left to professional landlord with enough capital to handle the risk, and be bought with a discount.
Bought with a discount? Hahah not these days. Its $200k a door for a 4 plex if your lucky. in 08 when we started, it was $80k a door, so i guess we did get a discount so to speak. 3% cap rates to rent out 1970s and older 4 plexes is madness. They are going under contract in a matter of days at these high prices too.

The other thing is that I've given up chasing top rents. You get the worse tenants that are willing to pay the top rent because they've been rejected everywhere else and no one else applies to the expensive places so they're your only choice. When you price them a little below market, then you get a lot more choices.
This totally. Sometimes people don't understand there are desperate tenants who are hard to work with and cost a lot of money to protect against. Desperation bring out the worst in humanity and leads to the "it is expensive to be poor" situations.

I thought about rental properties about 20 years ago and decided against it.

Investing by clicking a mouse was simpler than dealing with renters and possible big problems.

The “Rib & Loin” restaurant in Tennessee is complaining they can’t find workers. They say “no one wants to work anymore”.

Their starting pay? $2.19/hr, plus tips. (Allegedly, can’t confirm that) 😂😂😂

Last edited:
The “Rib & Loin” restaurant in Tennessee is complaining they can’t find workers. They say “no one wants to work anymore”.

Their starting pay? $2.19/hr, plus tips. (Allegedly, can’t confirm that) 😂😂😂

Put pay on a side, a huge problem is a childcare. Schools are not back 100%, daycares etc. We have a dramatic drop in graduate enrolment, students that are parents, mid-career. Why? DO not want to deal with their online education and their kids' online education.
On the topic, restaurant owners should know by now that people cannot live by just breathing.

Check your arithmetic and please show me the numbers.
Admittedly I know almost nothing about unemployment, but my understanding is it pays a smaller portion of regular earnings.
Is the relief act still in effect? How much is it? Just how much does a typical McDonalds worker get on unemployment?

I spent the better part of last summer on unemployment because my employer decided to furlough everyone making $59,000 a year or less for some period of time. The $59,000 a year number was based on $600/wk+state max benefit(I think $534/wk) x 52, or in other words the cut off where you'd not take a pay cut by being furloughed.

My salary was well below $59K but high enough that I still qualified for the max regular benefit. My gross unemployment pay was $4536/4 wks vs. a little under $4000 gross a month at my regular job.

I'll also add that that salary was low for the type of work I was doing, but middle of the country wages also aren't California wages.

BTW, yes, I did go back to work when called back...before leaving for a better job.

edyvw,

Maybe more stimulus needs to be handed out for parents needing help paying for childcare costs ?
It is cheaper to let people figure things out themselves. Certified child care is expensive, with lots of regulation and stress dealing with between "customers" and "employees" and insurance liabilities.

It is cheaper to let the lower income spouse stay home to watch them full time in a low cost of living area, or work from home if both spouse have high income.

edyvw,

Maybe more stimulus needs to be handed out for parents needing help paying for childcare costs ?
It is cheaper to let people figure things out themselves. Certified child care is expensive, with lots of regulation and stress dealing with between "customers" and "employees" and insurance liabilities.

It is cheaper to let the lower income spouse stay home to watch them full time in a low cost of living area, or work from home if both spouse have high income.
The pandemic caused issues with daycare closing up for a while and now they have excess demand and a serious problem trying to find anyone willing to work the terrible wage offered. Parents are cheapskates and unwilling to pay what it takes for living wage for the workers.

Currently a billion dollar company cannot seem to pay their employees childcare workers more than $25/hr in Bay Area and cut off their free transport. I cannot fathom making $25hr in Bay Area especially when people at job well compensated and company profiting away. https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/7/22425388/google-childcare-workers-commute-stipend

Personally I look forward to the recalibration of economy and fine with paying a bit more . It will be the new normal.

People get benefits beyond the paycheck when working for McD, think of something else besides people don’t wanna work. Unemp. is just a temporary bandaid and people on it are well aware of that. I wouldn’t work at a McD with the current situation and how violent people get these days, and so easily, if it was $50/hr. hazard pay.

The pandemic caused issues with daycare closing up for a while and now they have excess demand and a serious problem trying to find anyone willing to work the terrible wage offered. Parents are cheapskates and unwilling to pay what it takes for living wage for the workers.

Currently a billion dollar company cannot seem to pay their employees childcare workers more than $25/hr in Bay Area and cut off their free transport. I cannot fathom making $25hr in Bay Area especially when people at job well compensated and company profiting away. https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/7/22425388/google-childcare-workers-commute-stipend

Personally I look forward to the recalibration of economy and fine with paying a bit more . It will be the new normal.
1. Child care has always been expensive since the stone age. This is one of the reason human aging has been different than others and we don't "suddenly age and then die" after we stopped being fertile. We grow old and becomes grandparents watching grandchildren instead.

2. Even the cheapest undocumented child care labor would cost a lot of money (1k if shared, likely 2k in a certified facility, or 2k if live at your home hiding in the basement). For most non high income dual income household they are always the most expensive thing other than mortgage.

3. The Google childcare situation is a fluke, most other companies either rely on employees driving themselves or are near public transit, or they have no on site childcare. Google haven't open up their bus network (probably not enough on site employees to justify) and they open up childcare first, which is backward IMO. They should work with their transportation contractors to open up with some routes first, or something like that.

Most likely Google outsourced both childcare (likely Bright Horizon) and bus (maybe Royal Coach) to other companies and they were not in sync dealing with each other. Asking 1k a month on transit subsidies seems excessive IMO, I think the should be able to find a better way (like paying them money for rideshare with other Google employees and contractors, and flexible schedules) without into a mess.

1. Child care has always been expensive since the stone age. This is one of the reason human aging has been different than others and we don't "suddenly age and then die" after we stopped being fertile. We grow old and becomes grandparents watching grandchildren instead.

2. Even the cheapest undocumented child care labor would cost a lot of money (1k if shared, likely 2k in a certified facility, or 2k if live at your home hiding in the basement). For most non high income dual income household they are always the most expensive thing other than mortgage.

3. The Google childcare situation is a fluke, most other companies either rely on employees driving themselves or are near public transit, or they have no on site childcare. Google haven't open up their bus network (probably not enough on site employees to justify) and they open up childcare first, which is backward IMO. They should work with their transportation contractors to open up with some routes first, or something like that.

Most likely Google outsourced both childcare (likely Bright Horizon) and bus (maybe Royal Coach) to other companies and they were not in sync dealing with each other. Asking 1k a month on transit subsidies seems excessive IMO, I think the should be able to find a better way (like paying them money for rideshare with other Google employees and contractors, and flexible schedules) without into a mess.
It's basically expensive because you need a certain ratio of caretakers to children. I think it's about 6 kids to one adult. You also have smaller class sizes, maybe a dozen in a class with two or three adults and then even if you don't pay them much, the overhead costs and the share that each parent has to pay is high. It's cheaper when you get to the upper classes where you just need one adult to look over 20-30 kids.

People get benefits beyond the paycheck when working for McD, think of something else besides people don’t wanna work. Unemp. is just a temporary bandaid and people on it are well aware of that. I wouldn’t work at a McD with the current situation and how violent people get these days, and so easily, if it was $50/hr. hazard pay.
It's true, in addition to the paycheck i was given a free meal to eat during my unpaid lunch break. I'd get two filet-o-fish sandwitches and go across the street to the little coffee shop that only hired extremely hot chicks. Free lunch but $5 coffee, every 10 hour shift.

I live in a nice state where people don't rampage if there is no more chicken nuggets or the ice cream machine doesn't work, but some areas, yeah you would want hazard pay!

Some people might be forced to go back to work.

It is employees market.

They could just pay them more per hour and make McDonalds attractive employment. Our local busy Dunkin Donuts periodically closes due to lack of help but pay terribly. They are quite busy typically.

They could just pay them more per hour and make McDonalds attractive employment. Our local busy Dunkin Donuts periodically closes due to lack of help but pay terribly. They are quite busy typically.
Yeah, it's not really a shortage of workers, it's a shortage of workers willing to work for their low wages. Many of the big national firms, Amazon, McDonalds, Walmart, Target are all raising their minimums, even Bank of America is raising their minimum wage to $25/hr. That extra $300 a week works out to $7.50 an hour with a 40 hour work week. With many companies not even offering 40 hours, it's an even higher effective hourly rate. Although to be fair, unemployment is usually half so maybe about half of that $7.50 rate depending on the state minimum.

Back