One Florida McDonald’s offers $50 to anyone who interviews for a job

It's funny when people talk about overhead...the landlord, utilities, all the vendors...they all get fair market value. The workers are supposed to shut up and take some pittance?
The landlord gets what the storefront can haul in. No matter what storefront is there, it'll have to support at least the minimum wage.

Wage goes up, rent goes down, business goes on. There is a LOT of overpriced commercial real estate and the whole charade needs a realignment.

The other factor is what does a McD's franchise license go for these days vs 20 years ago? If labor prices go up, these may go down, but they'll exist until they don't.

The landlord gets what the storefront can haul in. No matter what storefront is there, it'll have to support at least the minimum wage.

Wage goes up, rent goes down, business goes on. There is a LOT of overpriced commercial real estate and the whole charade needs a realignment.

The other factor is what does a McD's franchise license go for these days vs 20 years ago? If labor prices go up, these may go down, but they'll exist until they don't.
Don't worry about the franchise owners. They make plenty of money. They usually own several of them so they have very good cash flow and they have their multi-million dollar homes. Each location does an average of 2.8 million a year in sales and the profits are about 150k.

It's funny when people talk about overhead...the landlord, utilities, all the vendors...they all get fair market value. The workers are supposed to shut up and take some pittance?
Please elaborate on how 10-12 an hr starting out at McDonalds isn’t fair market value?

Seems pretty dang good to me.. I’ve done more for less.

I’m confused how rent goes down if wages increase.

Not sure I follow you on overpriced commercial real estate either. That doesn’t need changed... nobody is forcing them to put up shop there. If the market can support it, they go for it. If not, they build/ rent elsewhere.

Please elaborate on how 10-12 an hr starting out at McDonalds isn’t fair market value?

Seems pretty dang good to me.. I’ve done more for less.
Market value is determined by what market is paying which is now higher and other jobs pay more.

my 15 year old is holding out for an ice cream stand job that actually “only” pays $11 but the tip jar can run between $15 - $80/hr. It has a waitlist of kids but the owner owes a favor indirectly to me.

In 1980 Jeff Bezos was 16 and flipping hamburgers at a McDonalds in Miami. His goal in life back then wasn’t to be the # 1 hamburger flipper in the company. Bezos also graduated high school in Miami.

I hate seeing lazy teenagers not wanting to work because it’s below them and think only stupid people work a low wage job. I have a few nieces and nephews that don’t want to left a finger unless it’s to play with their cellphone. I blame their parents for allowing lazy kids.

The big problem is that everyone wants to live the good life and they expect it to be handed to them. College for everyone.

Now you have tons of graduates with worthless degrees wondering what happened? But they did enjoy their college days as it’s more and more a social experience than education anymore.

I would like to see apprenticeships come back. Not every young skull of mush has the wherewithal to go to college. Get them into a good trade through a apprenticeship. They would end up with a decent paying job and along the way save up some money in case they decide to go on to higher education and improve themselves.

I haven't read all 4 pages. I'm happy that my adult kids and grandkids have good work ethic. I commented my approval to one of my recent graduated student employees with a DNR gov't. job that I was pleased to see him placing his work ethic above the bureaucracy of such positions.

When returning from field work in northern Michigan, the closed SubWay in the gas station we stopped at was because they cannot hire enough employees.

I haven't read all 4 pages. I'm happy that my adult kids and grandkids have good work ethic. I commented my approval to one of my recent graduated student employees with a DNR gov't. job that I was pleased to see him placing his work ethic above the bureaucracy of such positions.

When returning from field work in northern Michigan, the closed SubWay in the gas station we stopped at was because they cannot hire enough employees.

A good work ethic is a huge advantage. I keep hearing from managers and such how hard it is just to have employees show up on time or even at all.

This is not recent either. When I was teaching students for a bit I kept hearing them talk about not working night shifts and weekends. In the sector I worked, (healthcare), both are necessary and usually newer employees got graveyard shift to start.

Good to hear about your kids and grandkids

In 1980 Jeff Bezos was 16 and flipping hamburgers at a McDonalds in Miami. His goal in life back then wasn’t to be the # 1 hamburger flipper in the company. Bezos also graduated high school in Miami.

I hate seeing lazy teenagers not wanting to work because it’s below them and think only stupid people work a low wage job. I have a few nieces and nephews that don’t want to left a finger unless it’s to play with their cellphone. I blame their parents for allowing lazy kids.
I see this lazy behavior with teenagers these days and it really disturbing about the future of this country, I agree its the parents who aren't demanding that they get any job to learn about the value of a dollar and how hard it is to earn it. where I live these WaWa convenience stores are offering $500 bonus plus $75 Covid vaccination allotment(you can get one for free) plus a 1 free sandwich, with other discounted store items, and only people who are taking these jobs are over 50 year olds or retired people who are having a hard time paying their bills. the old are working harder so the young and the strong can have it easier these days. you can read the faces on these teenagers as if taking a entry level job is beneath them and can use mommies debit card to order their Lattes and fast food made by middle aged men/women while they have business to attend to on TWITTER or FACEBOOK, sickening.

I challenge any of the $15 is too much talkers to go out in the world and start out again today as a young person in average circumstances. No rich parents, no PhD. In a year you will understand and be talking differently. When you go to rent the apartment requiring first, last, and a months security deposit up front, tell the landlord you landed a slave labor job at McD so can he cut the rent in half, so you can live? After the no, you can move on to sharing renting a room with a stranger in someone’s house, because that’s what you can afford. Craigslist housing ads will be on your reading list.

So the franchise owner is a “titan of industry” by keeping wages low and maximizing their profits. But the working-class laborer is “lazy” for bypassing that low paying job and maximizing their profits with a better paying job? Incredible.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the franchise owners. They make plenty of money. They usually own several of them so they have very good cash flow and they have their multi-million dollar homes. Each location does an average of 2.8 million a year in sales and the profits are about 150k.
I worry about them. For 1-2 million dollars of capital per franchise they could be doing a lot better investment wise. Its very easy to lose money in a mcdonalds too. It has to be well ran every day.

They do not make plenty of money, they simply had plenty of money to start with and IMO chose poorly in investment. They could just trade their own portfolio and sell covered call options and make way more than a MCDonalds. It would only take a few hours a day of their time instead of a constant headache a portfolio of restaurants causes.

I've seen MCdonalds closing in Denver and one here in Utah actually got turned into a burger king of all things.

The profit margins are quite slim in the restaurant business. Mcdonalds has a lot of giveaway items like dollar menu stuff. If the sales are not high enough people get sent home early and do not make hours. They would only get fewer hours if they were forced to pay $15 or more an hour when their business flow cannot support it.

I worry about them. For 1-2 million dollars of capital per franchise they could be doing a lot better investment wise. Its very easy to lose money in a mcdonalds too. It has to be well ran every day.

They do not make plenty of money, they simply had plenty of money to start with and IMO chose poorly in investment. They could just trade their own portfolio and sell covered call options and make way more than a MCDonalds. It would only take a few hours a day of their time instead of a constant headache a portfolio of restaurants causes.

I've seen MCdonalds closing in Denver and one here in Utah actually got turned into a burger king of all things.

The profit margins are quite slim in the restaurant business. Mcdonalds has a lot of giveaway items like dollar menu stuff. If the sales are not high enough people get sent home early and do not make hours. They would only get fewer hours if they were forced to pay $15 or more an hour when their business flow cannot support it.
They didn't choose poorly. Monday morning quarterbacking. They will have an income while stock traders will be jumping out of windows. That's wise. It's a cycle, it won't be like the roaring twenties forever. McD does well in a down turn as people buy cheaper food.

PimTac,

Not to get off topic:

I’ve posted many paid 1 year apprenticeship openings in the past for medical equipment repair and I agree with you it’s a great way to get started into a career.

More apprenticeship postings very soon....

Last edited:
So the franchise owner is a “titan of industry” by keeping wages low and maximizing their profits. But the working-class laborer is “lazy” for bypassing that low paying job and maximizing their profits with a better paying job? Incredible.
Let's keep in mind too that taxpayers are actively subsidizing the billions in net profits of megacorporations and "titans of industry" that pay poverty wages. How many low wage workers are on social welfare programs (TANF, SNAP, Medicaid, etc.)?

They didn't choose poorly. Monday morning quarterbacking. They will have an income while stock traders will be jumping out of windows. That's wise. It's a cycle, it won't be like the roaring twenties forever. McD does well in a down turn as people buy cheaper food.
Let's say you are correct, and all stocks will go down but Mcdonalds will surge. You can buy MCD stock. It has great weekly options even. It has about 2% dividend per quarter and you can get great covered call premiums. I'm saying the owners of a franchise would be better off selling, taking that 1-2 million and investing it. Even if they just bought MCD stock.

Let's keep in mind too that taxpayers are actively subsidizing the billions in net profits of megacorporations and "titans of industry" that pay poverty wages. How many low wage workers are on social welfare programs (TANF, SNAP, Medicaid, etc.)?
The wages paid are market wages. People can choose to take or leave the job. I once worked for not only Mcdonalds but also Walmart at the same time. 60-70 hours a week saving everything. That, and my wife working hard, broke us out of paying rent. Into collecting rent actually.

Back