One Car 2 Filters (2008 Subaru Legacy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just purchased a new vehicle (2008 Subaru Legacy Special Edition 2.5Liter) and was getting ready figure out my maintenance schedule and what Items I need when I notice something interesting. Vehicle recommends a (Fram number) PH9715 which on their website lists its competitor as Supertech 6607.
So I compared on their website the difference between the a Fram 6607 and a 9715
the 9715:
2.57" tall 2.69" outer diameter
relief valve setting 12-14 PSI
the 6607:
2.63" Tall 2.84" outer diameter
relief valve setting 13 PSI
both are 20mmx1.5mm threads

So my question would be comparing the two filters wouldn't the 6607 be a better choice? larger more filter element and about the same relief valve setting...

I know people have their pros cons about Fram but it was just used a an example. I only use their XtendedGuard filters anyway or Napa Gold (but neither of the two come in an XG fram).

I'm just trying to way in the options and get the Used Car Dealer Crud out of the engine as soon as possible.

All I know is you can't tell how much filter media is inside by the can dimensions. Some use the inner space much better than others, different number and depth of pleats, center tube size, and even filter element length inside the can varies guite a bit.
Between the two, I would choose the XG because I think they flow better than the new STP construction.
WIX or NAPA gold (same filter) are the best choice by far, I think and cost no more than the lesser XG. My opinions.

Be sure to check the gasket diameter as well. The mounting thread is the same but there are sometimes different gasket sizes that do not match the mounting pad.Baldwin Filters has an excellent catalog that shows the complete range of specs on 20mmx1.5mm filters which includes gasket dia. My computer skills do not include posting a link so give it a try. FWIW

Subaru's actual oil pressure relief spec is closer to 22-24psi. Stick with the OEM Subaru filter, they are relatively cheap and are spec'd correctly.

OTOH, I use the larger 3593A on the non-turbo cars and have never had an issue. YMMV.

I have 4 of the new filters and I'll use them for 3500 mile runs, but I won't trust them for longer than that. They are just [censored] constructed by comparison.

The 9715 and 6607 filters are so close in size when you look at them in person, its nothing I would really worry about or overthink.

I can't comment on those two filters, but on my Subaru Forester (also with the 2.5L engine), I always use the Purolator PureOne PL14612 and have never had a problem with it. Great filter, good filtering media, never had a leak or construction issue, and it's relief valve is listed as 14-18 PSI which is the closest I've found to the factory 22-24 PSI.

I also wait until Purolator has a rebate, then I pick up two from Amazon b/c after rebates they come out to about $2.75 each.

Recently I have been thinking of trying the PureOne PL14610 b/c it appears to be the exact same as the PL14612 only a half inch taller, and my Forester has plenty of extra room around the filter length wise. For now though I'm sticking with the PL14612 until my car is out of warranty and I start doing longer OCIs (currently do 4k mile OCI to maintain warranty), and I also want to check with Purolator to make sure there's no difference between the two that I'm missing.

+1 for solo2. Get the OEM, which has the correct specifications for the engine. You are within the waraanty period so don't mess around trying to save a dollar on an oil filter.

lots of good info here.
I think it still bothers me at how small the filter is, but I think I'll go get some factory filters - good point about the warranty period. I don't want to void warrant on a vehicle of which I know has the possibility of an issue thats covered by warranty.

Tokyo Roki black (previous OEM filter), Purolator 14612 (premium plus or pureone), and finally the new blue Honeywell made OEM filter. That's my recommendation in that order. I would only use the Honeywell if there was no source to secure one of the other two filters listed. Since you can get a Quaker State qs14612 (purolator clone) at any Canadian Tire for around $6 regular price there should be no reason to run the Honeywell made filter
grin2.gif

I use the Tokyo Roki filter on my Forester and will do so for the next 100k km. I stocked up before they vanished.

For some reason I thought you lived in Canada. So disregard my rambling above about Canadian Tire. You should have easy access to whatever you need down south.

Whoa! Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. The newer scoobies use a smaller filter to keep it away from the exhaust (which was recently re-routed). I'm a huge fan of larger filters, but in this specific case, I'd stick with the smaller filter on the '08.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back