Once again it’s the Hummers oil change interval.

manicrodder

$50 site donor 2022
I have posted before about my wife’s 2007 hummer H3 with the 3.7 in line 5 cylinder. I bought brand new off the showroom floor and is the only vehicle for her even today. The problem is it is driven for very short trips and at below freezing temperatures. She always gets jobs close to the house and recently this job is the closest yet, .6 miles each way.
I won’t ask her to walk nor would she. Hummy has 42,400 miles original. Except for several trips we’ve taken, short trips have been the rule.
Since the factory fill was changed it has had synthetic exclusively. Mobile 1 and Pennzoil platinum. I’ve been using 1 year intervals.OLM never has signaled for change. I tried to take it on the road a couple times a month but that typically fails. Cindy loves this thing and doesn’t feel comfortable driving my Chrysler or any other car. So I don’t get to drive it much. It does get the mayonnaise on the fill cap so my thought is switching to conventional changing twice a year and maybe changing filter once annually.
Thoughts please.

Dexos approved synthetics don’t cost much. Catch them on sale. Change it twice a year. If you are seeing thixotropic oil using those two brands … a conventional can flip before a year of short-short trips.

Your local NAPA has their synthetic on sale right now for $15.49 / 5qt jug if you would be interested. It's great oil for the price to me. Just thought I'd mention this, OR they also have Mobil 1 for $27.99 and you get a $10 Visa card. Check'em out.

You could easily do annual changes with a Dexos approved synthetic of your choice.

Try to get it on the highway whenever you go somewhere. I understand it can be difficult at times. We try to do the same thing with my wife’s Volvo. Doesn’t always work. Lol

I would switch to twice a year if you are getting that much moisture in your oil. When I started doing annual changes on my short trippers I keep a close eye on that, I actually check the oil cap every time I check the oil level, so far I haven't seen any. I would run synthetic in the winter for it's cold starting properties. Leaving the filter on for two changes is up to you, personally if I'm getting my oil changed it isn't that much more for a new filter.

I'm in the same boat with my wife's '19 Corolla. She works less than a mile from home and frequents a grocery store 3 miles away. That accounts for 90% of her driving.

To combat this, I've cut her OCIs in half....from the recommended 1yr/10k to 6 months/5k. Been using M1 0/20. I even spring for Shell 93 V-Power gas for it's supposedly added detergents in hopes of helping to keep the fuel system cleaner over the long haul. With the 1/4 tank of gas she's uses a week...the extra cost is nothing.

Every Sunday morning I get up and take it out on the highway for a bit then top off her tank. That's been my regiment for the last couple of years.

Screenshot_2020-07-18-19-29-49.png

Last edited:
Like others have said.
If cost is a factor any lower cost Dexos oil would be a good choice. There are good dexos oils under 20 bucks for 5 quarts.

Like others have said.
If cost is a factor any lower cost Dexos oil would be a good choice. There are good dexos oils under 20 bucks for 5 quarts.

If you have a Meijer nearby....they have their house brand on sale for $13. It's a good quality Warren product. Just did an OC on my daughter's boyfriend's Hyundai Santa Fe with it

20201011_110637.jpg

For the price of SuperTech, might as well spring for the synthetic
One thing I neglected to mention it will be a high mileage oil. It recently had an oil leak which was stopped by using Bars best stop leak. It seems 14 years was the reason even with 42,000 mile.

I have posted before about my wife’s 2007 hummer H3 with the 3.7 in line 5 cylinder. I bought brand new off the showroom floor and is the only vehicle for her even today. The problem is it is driven for very short trips and at below freezing temperatures. She always gets jobs close to the house and recently this job is the closest yet, .6 miles each way.
I won’t ask her to walk nor would she. Hummy has 42,400 miles original. Except for several trips we’ve taken, short trips have been the rule.
Since the factory fill was changed it has had synthetic exclusively. Mobile 1 and Pennzoil platinum. I’ve been using 1 year intervals.OLM never has signaled for change. I tried to take it on the road a couple times a month but that typically fails. Cindy loves this thing and doesn’t feel comfortable driving my Chrysler or any other car. So I don’t get to drive it much. It does get the mayonnaise on the fill cap so my thought is switching to conventional changing twice a year and maybe changing filter once annually.
Thoughts please.
Every 4 months.

Back