Once a year oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife doesn't work so her 2003 Honda CRV only gets about 6,000 miles a year on it. Combination highway/city.

With only once a year oil changes would it be better to do the oil change in the spring or fall? I'm thinking spring as winter would be harder on the oil than summer correct?

It currently has 5W20 Penz/plat. but I'll probably move back up to M1 0W30 or 5W30.

Why are you considering a viscosity increase using such a robust oil as Mobil 1?

Without a doubt, M1 5W-20 should be able to handle your application without problems.

As long as there aren't too many short trips, I don't see why any synthetic, in the recommended weight, wouldn't last a year.

UOA would confirm your oil condition when compared to your driving style.

I also don't think it makes a difference when you change it.

Bypass filtration is another option.

Hank- If I were going to do a once a year change, I'd probably go spring too. Sounds like a good plan for 6k runs.
cool.gif

I'll agree-annual oil changes with a quality synthetic should be fine. I'd back that assumption up with an oil analysis after the first year just to make certain there are no unexpected surprises.

I disagree with all of this.

I say twice a year with Havoline 5W20 dino.

It will still cost less than one oil change with synthetic.

thooks - he didn't mention money, but still if you factor in your time...... To properly change your oil - at least 1/2 hour. What's your time worth?

I do yearly oil changes. Might (Doesn't!) cost me a tad more than 3 or 4 dino changes not including time...factor time in and those oil changes cost me more.

One a year is fine.

quote:

With only once a year oil changes would it be better to do the oil change in the spring or fall? I'm thinking spring as winter would be harder on the oil than summer correct?

What's your logic behind this? (Oil gets beat up in the winter, so change out old, trashed oil in the spring?) I was going to say change it out in the fall, so you would have new, fresh oil in there ready for a good hard run. It might not matter at all, but what do I know?

I see you're from the... USA, mmmkay. What's the weather like where you're at? Driving habits change much between the seasons?

As I think someone else mentioned ..if it's once a year ..it doesn't matter when. Either way you're going to endure 100% of every season. Now I know what y'all thinking ...(Dirty Harry).. but seein' that you can either have fresh oil for the harsher (maybe) winter ..and have all that "stink" around for the whole year ..or put it through the grueling summer and have it fatigued for the whole winter (if that's the line of thought you had about it)..it all sorta adds up and just doesn't make much of a difference.

Luckily I don't have these conflicts of conscience. My wife does 18k and gets the 6month treatment.

..but yes, Hankrr, just give us a regional compass point here. SE, West, Midwest, NE, PNW, Mid Atlantic.

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:
I disagree with all of this.

I say twice a year with Havoline 5W20 dino.

It will still cost less than one oil change with synthetic.

I would rather have synthetic in the engine once than two cheap dino oil changes.

Synthetic is the better choice for extended periods.

quote:

Originally posted by Hankrr:
My wife doesn't work so her 2003 Honda CRV only gets about 6,000 miles a year on it. Combination highway/city.

It currently has 5W20 Penz/plat. but I'll probably move back up to M1 0W30 or 5W30.

No need to change a thing!

Keep on with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 once a year. Best time to change is right before winter. The Purolator Pure One is a better filter than the Premium Plus.

You have a point, Pablo, to an extent.

Yes, my time is worth something, but so is being under the vehicle, doing my own inspection for leaks, CV boots, and other problems.

I also know that it's getting some fresh oil twice per year versus once. I can do an oil change in about 30 minutes, including getting all the crap out, jack, jack stands, drain pan, 5 gallon bucket, gloves, 17 mm wrench, etc.

And extra 30 minutes a year? Come on. It ain't that big of a deal.

I do my wifes car in the spring. The warmer months don't have the the condensation or road salt etc. problems of winter. The car also doesn't need to run as rich as long at start up either so shorter trips can have a better chance of burning off fuel dilution. Summer heat doesn't seem to be as much of a problem with most modern cars excellent temp regulation. I feel that the oil will be in better condition for most of the year if I don't put it through a winter first. Winter UOAs often look worse than their corresponding summer results.

[ June 02, 2006, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: goodvibes ]

Thanks for all the good suggestions from everyone. It sounds like my plan is solid as I've already learned a lot from this forum!

For those who asked I'm in Colorado so we have a pretty wide temp range between summer/winter although not so much as some other parts of the country.

I realize the debate between the 5w20 vs 5w30 weights has been discussed until the cows come home so I don't wish to drag that up again. It's my thoughts that the 5w30 will be slightly more forgiving as there isn't much of a safty margin if the 5w20 thins due to fuel delution or what not with year long usage.

With a 5W30 even if it thickened or thined a little bit it still wouldn't harm my engine.

That's my logic anyway but I'm sure some will disagree.

[ June 06, 2006, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Hankrr ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back