On what small hi-per engine would you see a side cover that said Boyesen Fact Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay ..now I'm pretty picky about my full time employment. I tend to start spreading into the place like fungus and I don't like to leave ..it takes great lengths to get rid of me ..so it had better either pay really well ..or be real comfy ..preferably both (ain't happening anymore, pal).

Part-time work, OTOH, ..I could care less. All that matters is that I can do the work and endure the working conditions. I picked up a job doing finishing work at a local small casting outfit. They work in some neat alloys (SS, Monel, etc.) and regular aluminum and various other metals (brass, etc.). It appears that casting, although being a really clever craft, hasn't changed a whole lot since the iron age conceived the technology. I found the "wax to ceramic" molds a nifty thing (I had known this before). Massive amount of wasted energy in the casting process. Incredible.

Anyway, I got a cart full of side covers today that had (I wish I had written it down) Benesen Factory Racing (or spelling close to that) cast into them. I put it in a search engine ..but it only puked out ultralights and other personal aircraft.

Anyone know what these go on???

Lots of neat stuff in this place. They do stuff like pump housings and valve bodies and "turbo-like" castings and fancy vane impellers and such. One of the simplest pieces ...it apparently a gun mount on the military Hummer. It's rather small and would appear to fit into some type of bearing. It has a tapered spindle and a place for some type of snap ring.

Now I've just got to shmooz the girls in the wax room to make me some custom models ..then slide the ceramic guy a couple of bucks to dip them ..melt the wax out with a heat gun..then get to know the pouring room guys a bit ...and voila~! ..Allan's Custom Castings
grin.gif

Never mind! I found it!!

-

[ July 13, 2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

Yeah, I found them. I just had to account for chemical-electrical memory suspension. I just found it neat that the chithole that I'm working in makes something novel.

I was looking, more or less, with someone who personally used the products. Trying to index how an apparently fly by night outfit can make legit products in some of the most insanely "low tech" conditions that I've seen to date.

The wonders of marketing.

I've seen it more than a few times. You can have a multimillion $$ outfit. They have polished engineers and elite gernal managers. The corporate offices are tributes to the finest of taste and design. Their products may be regarded as the finest in the industry .....

..but the daily operation is held together by a couple of uncredentialed non-college grads that manage to make the lame stuff that the front office sends down the line work.

Boyesen started out making multi-stage reed valves for 2 cycle engines. They were actually pretty trick, made of composite material instead of metal, faster opening, increased airflow, etc.

I lost track of them after I got out of the m/c business but by then they were making boost bottles and later on a bunch of other accessories. I don't know if the existing company is the same bunch of guys or has been sold off to others.

To quote Gary, ..but the daily operation is held together by a couple of uncredentialed non-college grads that manage to make the lame stuff that the front office sends down the line work.

The whole motorcycle accessory industry is that way, or was. I was once one of those non-degreed "injuneers" that designed all that stuff. While all the "edumacated" guys at places like SWRI were using hardware comparator circuits and CRT storage scopes and rulers and graph paper to calculate g-loading on safety helmets, I designed a test station that used a small computer to do the same work faster and much much more accurately...
wink.gif

[ July 17, 2005, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

still the same guys and still make great stuff and usually have some super trick ideas under wraps at the shop. every 2-stroke that was sold with a reed valve stuffer.. the plastic piece.. meant a portion of that sale went to boyesson.. there are a couple other items he's come up with over the years that made it to production machines. eyvin boyesson is truly an amazing design-fab. engineer
44H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back