On Honda CR-V AC MAX over-rides ECO

I saw on one of the Honda CR-V forums that when you use ECO it can restrict the amount of time the AC runs to get better gas millage. So because of that info I was not using ECO mode until the vehicle cooled off on hot days. But yesterday I saw a post on a Honda CR-V forum that if you select MAX on the AC then it over-rides the ECO and the AC running will not be reduced (the person quoting this on that forum even linked a page from the owner manual with that section circled in red). So now I can leave ECO on to get the better gas millage and just select MAX. I knew MAX selects recycle of air from the cabin into the AC system instead of trying to bring in hotter air from outside, but I did not know it over-rode the ECO.

I noticed a post here on BITOG that an owner of a Lexus said his vehicle will select a lower gear to keep the RPM's up to run the AC compressor at higher RPM's for more cooling. I never thought about that, but with my 2016 Honda CR-V with the CVT trany I can select S (sport) mode to make it stay in a lower ratio and the RPM's will stay noticeably higher (when moving). So from now on when I use it on a really hot day I will select ECO but also select S (which kinda defeats any fuel savings from ECO) to keep the RPM's up to make the AC compressor turn faster and pump faster until the cabin of the vehicle cools off enough. Of course there are pressure limits of the AC system that can cause the compressor to cycle off, but it is likely running higher RPM's will improve the performance of the AC. What really helps is getting the vehicle moving (like 35 MPH or more) to get more air across the condenser. Unfortunately with electric fans, increasing the RPM's will not increase the fan speed for when it is not moving fast.

Just something to pass along to other CR-V owners, and the trick of keeping in a lower gear to increase AC compressor RPM's might be good for many vehicles. Especially when you are trying to cool it off with initial use when you get in it and it has been sitting in the sun, and the interior temperature is very high.

Last edited:
I've heard of Eco reducing A/C power, I never use Eco when it's warm out. No way am I giving up my A/C for better gas mileage.

In my 2015 Altima, when I select SPORT("S") mode, the RPM will only increase momentarily(RPM doesn't just stay higher) but will then drop down to the normal RPM.

For example, if I am on the hiwy as a steady state cruising speed, and then put the tranny in DRIVE "S" mode the RPM will increase(BLIP ~2-3 seconds) and then drop to normal. However, if I give the throttle more input, the RPM will jump up further than it would in NORMAL mode. I believe this is how most work.

In my Altima, the tranny doesn't have a specific ECON mode the way that Honda's do. In this car, DRIVE("D") is ECO mode and Drive S is SPORT mode. But that's it.

Also in most new(er) vehicles, when in either ECON or NOT, when a passing maneuver in demanded(WOT) the AC compressor turns off momentarily till the passing maneuver is over. But, I think you guys knew this.

Last edited:
In the owners manual of our 2019 Honda Pilot, it mentions that when the vehicle is in "ECO" the computer does reduce the output of the AC system. Probably not in those exact words but something like that. Personally, I don't use ECO mode. Prefer the cooling of the AC and also prefer the throttle response when not using the ECO mode.

On a side note, many years ago I had a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am with the 400 Pontiac engine and 4 speed manual transmission. It had a small push button switch mounted to the side of the carburetor where the throttle cable attached to it. If I remember correctly, when under wide open throttle the button was depressed by the throttle and it cut power to the AC. Don't know if this was from the factory but the car had right at 45k on it when I made the purchase. Everything else was original.

Also in most new(er) vehicles, when in either ECON or NOT, when a passing maneuver in demanded(WOT) the AC compressor turns off momentarily till the passing maneuver is over. But, I think you guys knew this.
Yup, when you have a lowish powered car, it makes a difference! My 1998 Fiat diesel (mechanical injection) had that feature, probably one of the only reason there was a "throttle" sensor! Cut AC when throttle was at 100% and RPM over a certain threshold.

On a side note, many years ago I had a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am with the 400 Pontiac engine and 4 speed manual transmission. It had a small push button switch mounted to the side of the carburetor where the throttle cable attached to it. If I remember correctly, when under wide open throttle the button was depressed by the throttle and it cut power to the AC. Don't know if this was from the factory but the car had right at 45k on it when I made the purchase. Everything else was original.

Cool!
I had a '79 FORMULA w/400/4 spd(CrAsHeD). Same setup. My '80 also has that same push button you speak of but, I don't have AC in the '80

I love my ECO heat/cool button on my corolla. I literally have never turned it off. I've always felt A/C was too aggressive and that i really just wanted to get somewhat cooler air, but didn't need it ice cold. Especially at the expensive of so much power and in some cases fuel economy.

I love my ECO heat/cool button on my corolla. I literally have never turned it off. I've always felt A/C was too aggressive and that i really just wanted to get somewhat cooler air, but didn't need it ice cold. Especially at the expensive of so much power and in some cases fuel economy.

Well someone living in MN might have different feelings than Texas or Arizona.

Does the CR-V have a variable displacement compressor? Just because it spins faster, doesn't mean its pumping harder

I have never heard anything saying it has or does not have a variable displacement compressor, but I do not think it does, but I do not have anything to verify that with.

I've heard of Eco reducing A/C power, I never use Eco when it's warm out. No way am I giving up my A/C for better gas mileage.

As I posted at the title of this thread "MAX over-rides ECO" so if you select MAX you get recycle of interior air AND ECO not interfering with the AC. Therefore there is no need to not use ECO on hot days, as long as you use MAX.

As I posted at the title of this thread "MAX over-rides ECO" so if you select MAX you get recycle of interior air AND ECO not interfering with the AC. Therefore there is no need to not use ECO on hot days, as long as you use MAX.
Yeah but I don't have "MAX" in my car :ROFLMAO:

Ran into this crippling of the AC with ECO mode recently. Well, my Mom ran into it and I figured it out for her. She has an '18 CR-V and uses ECO but mentioned that the AC just wasn't very good. I looked in the owner's manual and found that ECO mode impacts multiple things including the AC so with her on the phone and in her car, I had her start it up and turn on the AC, then turn ECO off. Within seconds, she mentioned that it definitely started getting colder. Problem for her is, running the AC in MAX mode is too cold for her !! 😂

I never use S or the Eco button; if it’s true that Jim is saying I would imagine that limit at max is tied to anytime the auto AC option is pressed in the car

and yes our AC unit has plenty of cool air in the CRV

So what else does eco do, make the gas pedsl more dead in the middle? Sounds like marketing malarkey.

Your car works for you, life is too short to sweat when the machine can do better.

On the 15 CRV it possibly has the worst AC out of all the cars in my sig. It barely blew cold from the factory.

Take a close look at which vent mode you have selected. My windshield frosted up some on the bottom today, and I changed the vent mode so the windshield was not part of where the cold air blew, and got an immediate increase in the amount of cold air coming out of the dash vents towards me and the passenger side.

Take a close look at which vent mode you have selected. My windshield frosted up some on the bottom today, and I changed the vent mode so the windshield was not part of where the cold air blew, and got an immediate increase in the amount of cold air coming out of the dash vents towards me and the passenger side.
I don't think that car has EVER been taken out of Eco mode. I would have never guessed it would have messed with the AC. Ill have to try that first.

Back