On a short trip vehicle, does a 30 minute drive make a difference

I've seen in the past where people have recommended for vehicles that do a lot of really short trips (ie. severe service) and the motor never gets up to operating temperatures to try and get on the highway to burn off any fuel or condensation that may have built up in the oil. Does this really do anything to help prolong the oil change or is it just better to change the oil every 3K miles or following whatever the manual recommends for severe service?

Was hoping people that really know the answer can chime in

Condensation turns to steam and leaves the oil at 212°F. Do you have an oil temp gauge to know when that happens? I guess a few minutes above that temperature would be good enough.

Condensation turns to steam and leaves the oil at 212°F. Do you have an oil temp gauge to know when that happens? I guess a few minutes above that temperature would be good enough.
My Nissans almost never hit 212F on oil temp. Even in hottest summer days. And if it does it drops quickly to about 208 to 210

As stated by others i also think this depends on how the 30 minutes drive is spend to really get and maintain the oil up to temp.
A 30 minute city drive is not really enough. A 30 minute highway drive at 70 80mph+ does the job.

Then the question raises how many times do you plan to do it? Once every OCI, once a month, once a week?
To be honest i think that if a vehicle really sees every day short trips(severe service) it should be done atleast once a week or 2 weeks.

My personal 2005 bmw 325i sees 100 120mph daily commute back and forward for 50miles and i never have condensation problems or moist in the engine/filler cap.
However last winter i had a project for which i took a few weeks of and rented a storage unit nearby. I comuted to it daily by car. Its about 1 mile.

The N52 series bmw engines are known for creating lifter tick, i never had this problem in 100k miles of owner ship. However now i had this already after 3 days. First i thought it had devoleped an engine knock thats how bad it sounded.
I had to drive atleast 15 miles and pull it to the 7000rpm redline to solve this again. Has something to do with the hydraulic tappet oil canal not bleeding correctly because the car does not see above 2200 rpm on such a short slow drive.

Also after 2 3 weeks i could see condensation sludge forming on the inside of the oil filler cap, this also went away after my daily comute restarted again.

All in all it shows how my engine did not really like the (extremely) short trips instead of the fast highway routine. Somehow most people think that driving a car at that speeds daily is asking for breaking it but i have been doing this for 100.000miles now. I personaly think the short trips are the real killers for engines and have seen this happening multiple times as i used to own a car salvage business.

Low milage cars had the ****iest engines which fetched the best money.
High milage highway only cars had engines like new under the valve cover and went for 1/3rd of the price of a low milage engine.

Thats why i think its stupid that we still count cars at miles and not at operating hours like, planes, boats, generators, machines, tractors, basicly everything else except cars and trucks.

I'd rather own a car which spent 200k miles and for example 8500 hours on mostly highway instead of spending 2 times as much on a car which spend 60k miles but also 8500 hours bumper to bumper in traffic around the city.

It's not condensation I worry about as much as it is fuel from short tripping and letting my car idle during the winter. This is why my annual changes are in April.

Gas prices are to high to be out joy riding right now.

As stated by others i also think this depends on how the 30 minutes drive is spend to really get and maintain the oil up to temp.
A 30 minute city drive is not really enough. A 30 minute highway drive at 70 80mph+ does the job.

Then the question raises how many times do you plan to do it? Once every OCI, once a month, once a week?
To be honest i think that if a vehicle really sees every day short trips(severe service) it should be done atleast once a week or 2 weeks.

This is basically what I was looking for. I figured getting it on the highway and getting the oil up to temp and letting it sit there for awhile to burn off whatever may be in there was better than driving around city traffic
-I had just seen people recommending this to others and I had suggested it one time and Doug Hillary called me out on it several years ago asking if I had and data and whatever to back this up.

- So that’s basically what I was wondering, is there any type of data or anything to show this is worthwhile doing to waste gas/time, put miles on the car just to do that or is it better to just change the oil more often

-And to be clear, this isn’t for me. My daily commute is 15.5 miles to work (14 miles on highway) 15.5 miles back home. I was just wondering/wanting to know is all

Depends also again on engine type, how big is the sump capicaty, direct injection etc... engine type known for sludgeing etc...
With the experience i now personaly have i would definatly hammer my car once every 2 weeks for 20 miles on the highway because its needed to prevent the lifter tick.

I get that driving around pointless with the idea to ''clean'' the oil feels stupid so i would try to combine it with another trip or something like that.

Difficult to say if there is any data on it, there probably is but i dont have it. As is said its also engine depended so best way would be to do oil sample.

I know its a problem on the honda 1.5DI in colder climates and also other DI engines.

Frequent oil changes by time rather than mileage, good-quality oil, and a long highway trip as often as practical - I have to have a destination.

Even if the oil sump doesn't hit 212'F the drops that splash up onto the pistons do. Water finds a way out.
The oil also shears and heats up when it goes through the journal bearings. The PCV system should pull out the water and gas vapors, etc.

I would do occasional longer drives and change the oil less often. This may not be the best for cost-savings but I believe this will be better for your engine's overall health than continuing to do short trips only, with frequent oil changes. I agree with other comments, just take the scenic/longer route once in a while when you are already out driving -- no need to fire up the engine for the specific purpose of going on a longer drive. Also, water starts to steam well below 100c, it's the boiling that occurs at 100c. The point is to keep the engine running at full temperature for a period of time.

Doesn't matter a single bit if it gets to 212F or not.

It's going to be evaporating at a very high rate whether it's boiling or not. 100C/212F is not an "on/off" switch for water evaporation - or else puddles would never go away on the roadway.

satvap.jpg

Back