OMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ndx
There is a difference between blind person and person using cell phone ... Don't even compare that to being blind .... its not even close .......

I never, ever would compare the two.

Although cellphonies become blind through choice.

Easy fix to the problem - bring back the 1969 'ZL-1' 427 Camaro with their factory 'chambered' exhaust pipes instead of mufflers.

It'll help GM sales; and you won't miss them when they roll up to an intersection!

I'm sympathetic to the blind and others with physical impairments, but I don't think it should be on the radar of the government and definitely does not warrant a study using tax payer dollars. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Fund their seeing-eye dogs for more training. That's what saved the one guy. Dog sees car, knows enough to get back.

Oh wait, personal choice, not everybody wants a seeing-eye dog...

Why don't they just outfit the people with devices that make noise and/or strobe effects instead? I smell a boombox revival!
grin2.gif
The "fix" for anything like this is probably going to be multifaceted (e.g. the 4 E's thing). A lot of people get around alright with dogs and/or volunteers; as far as cost:benefit I would guess a few more friendly people around would be a good way to go.

Obligatory pop culture references, sharing is caring
LOL.gif
:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S0LNGA2hp8 (This one sounds better, but they clipped the ending!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKXKWBcaV3A

Well, I think that ebay will have a whole series of newer simulators for hybrids. I've seen (or rather heard) the "PiCHOO" simulated turbo blow off valve simulator. Sounds like a dust collector cleaning off the filters. I guess they could come up with a diesel simulation.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
I want mine to do Star Trek warp drive sounds.

I'd like mine to have the idle sound of this engine when using the electric motor... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Omj6zxtIB0

Seriously though, it would be good to have some sort of noise maker for hybrids, after all why do commercial trucks have back up beepers? How "stupid" do you have to be to get run over by a huge truck? But it happened enough to get beepers to be mandatory.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Have the beepers made a difference?

They've even introduced strobes on trash trucks so that half awake drivers will notice the big thing in the way of their pre-dawn commute. I guess it would also work for those hard of hearing or deaf where a beeper may not be enough.

Cortical implants in everyone and transmitters on every thing.

How about a bluetooth transmitter in every hybrid... it could pulse more rapidly when the car is moving faster, even announce "braking"... put it on a special channel, the blind can get earpiece receivers... the range is so low on those things there wouldn't be too many false positives, and the rest of us could enjoy a day free of noise pollution...

I recommend installing the synthesized music system that's used in every ice cream truck in every neighborhood in America. Don't just alert them to your presense..annoy the h*ll out of them while you're at it.

In all seriousness, when a majority of cars drive by my house, it's not their engines that I'm hearing...it's the tire noise. I find it hard to believe that the Prius is making any less of that than a normal car. Yes, they're errily silent at busy parking lot speeds. I had a Hybrid Tahoe sneak up on me while walking to my car. But once they speed up past 2mph, you can hear them coming.

Easy, just make sure in addition to low rolling resistance, your car comes with high acoustic alert tires that can be heard by anyone within a block at speed low enough.

This is such a stupid law, when it was people (both drivers and pedestrians) not paying attention that causes accidents. You don't see every car with police light bar on top to catch attention of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back