OMG, I poured 5q of syn in the engine w/o drain bolt in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a minor oops myself when I changed the oil in my mom's Golf last week. After I was done and put the drain plug back on, and poured in the new oil, I then dumped the used oil into a container and found the washer for the drain plug in the bottom of the pan! Doh! I didn't know it had one, as I held onto the drain plug with my hand when I was draining the oil, and didn't see a washer fall off it. I figured it might be ok without it, as I started the engine and saw no leaks. But my dad phoned me that night to tell me there was a fresh oil spot under the car.
frown.gif

So the next day I had to wash out a windshield washer jug, drain the fresh oil from the engine into that, and then I put the washer back on the plug and poured that oil from the container back into the engine.

what everyone says is true i have done all of it that is why I DO NOT let wife watch me change oil or better I do it when she is gone.
bruce

I had my dip-sh*t friend helping me. ANYTHING this guy is involved with turns to doo. Not that I blame him, but doing OC alone, I would never make that mistake.

The best way to avoid this mistake is to stay under the car and wait for the oil to slow to a drip and then reinstall the washer/drain plug.

A Fumoto valve makes oil changes a snap, no mess, no damaged threads and you can drain the oil directly into a gallon milk jug.

a while back I did a late night OC and forgot to close the breather hole in my 15qt drain pan/used oil storage container. stood the drain pan on end in the corner of the garage (as it is designed to be stowed) and went to bed. next morning I awoke to find several gallons of used oil covering the entire garage floor.

Almost happened to me a few months back, I was changing my cars oil with my uncle and I thought he had placed the plug back in and right before I began pouring he casually said "hey, you checked to make sure the plug was back in right?". Whoops
lol.gif

Luckily I was using el cheapo lubo(Supertech) so it wouldnt have been a large loss, more of a redface moment.

Yup. I've done it, but not since the age when I had long hair and was wearing bell bottoms. I was a college student then, and all my money for the weekend went into the drain pan. I had to walk a long way to the store to buy more oil for my '68 Opel Kadet. It was a bad day. Once is enough.

quote:

drain the oil directly into a gallon milk jug. [/QB]

I melted the bottom out of one and didn't realize it until I saw a stream of black stuff running down the driveway. I switched to empty 5-quart oil jugs.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
So the next day I had to wash out a windshield washer jug, drain the fresh oil from the engine into that, and then I put the washer back on the plug and poured that oil from the container back into the engine.

Another option is to not drain the oil, pull the plug and thumb the drainhole while fumbling the washer on with the other hand. I installed my Fram Sure Drain this way because I was so excited about the drain valve I didn't want to wait for an oil change to install it. Only lost less than a thimble full of oil. Now imagine if the plug falls out of your hand and rolls down the driveway...

When I was a British car mechanic I had a similar experience. After finishing a tuneup, I started the near new MGB. Just as the engine started I noticed the cans of oil in front of me on my tool box. I nearly lost control of my hands trying to get to the ignition key. I was so worried and embarassed that I pulled the pan and took a careful look at a couple of mains and a rod bearing. Nothing, they looked like new. I told the customer and had him bring the car back in a thousand miles and checked everything again. Nothing, except that I gave the customer a couple of free tuneups. I was really worried for a while. Thank *** the customer was not upset. He actuall said he was 'floored' that I admitted the problem and wanted to 'make it right'. Today I wish I could find a mechanic like me, but not much luck.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Another option is to not drain the oil, pull the plug and thumb the drainhole while fumbling the washer on with the other hand. I installed my Fram Sure Drain this way because I was so excited about the drain valve I didn't want to wait for an oil change to install it. Only lost less than a thimble full of oil. Now imagine if the plug falls out of your hand and rolls down the driveway... [/QB]

Well I successfully did that on my Matrix and only lost a tiny bit a few months ago...(Thumb trick) Now a few weeks ago I changed the oil on my wife's Vue using the "Free" Maxlife oil. When I put the drain plug in I forgot to put on a new washer (I swore I did
frown.gif
) and I got a small minute leak...ok no problem...I'll just do the thumb thing....well yeah..I was able to plug up the hole but.....the hole on the pan of the Vue is sideways, not on the bottom....trying to put the plug back in and not having the threads line up turned into a small disaster.....lost about a quart of oil splashed all over my hand, wrist and arm which splashed it everywhere...yuck what a mess...had to go buy anothe quart...so much for my free stuff
freak2.gif

Goose
patriot.gif

I guess being OCD has its advantages. I check and recheck everything before pouring in oil or starting the engine (that would really stink if you forgot to add oil). The downside is it takes me 30 minutes to recheck all the doors, windows and appliances before leaving for a trip.
freak2.gif

Did similar to sky jumper drained the oil late one night, then go out in the morning to refill and found my drain tray had a crack in the bottom. 5 litres old black oil spread nicely over garage floor

I took auto mechanics in high school for 4 years. So this one time me and a classmate were changing the oil on a customers car (the public were able to bring their cars in for oil changes and repairs for CHEAP labor rates, $6 an hour at the time, scary huh?)

Back to the story, so we have the minivan up on the lift draining the oil and removing the filter. Once that is drained, I put the filter on and my classmate started to add oil without the drainplug in! I was under there getting an oil shampoo. I had long hair (1980's) and it was all over me and my face. My hair shined for weeks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back