OMG! 42 qts of SJ Superflo semi-synth for 1 cent each!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too funny. I am out cruising the Autozone, the one where I found the Superflo full syn for $1, checking for a sale on the SJ Pennzoil Synth on the shelf still next to the SL. I picked up 2 quarts of the semi-synth Superflo expecting to pay the $1 sale price...they ring it up...2 cents! I grabbed the remaining 40 quarts of 5w-30, 10-30 and 10w-40 for 40 cents. Not a lie, not a joke, not a missprint, 1 cent each. How is that for amazing? Cheapest oil ever. This stuff is probally ok too.
grin.gif
Added to all the GC, I have over 100 quarts in the shrine!

I think Molekule wrote that the old Pennz synth was good stuff. Not sure if it is the SJ version but what the he--.

This beats the "free" Maxlife deal by a mile. No stupid coupons to mail in, no waiting for a lousy 12 dollars....

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

Reminds me of the walmart that sold individual cans of soda for 18 cents plus tax and deposit, but forgot to snip off the 6-pack rings. Result: Cashier would ring up one can (24 cents) then I'd bring back the empties for 30 cents!

Mismanagement must be exploited.

I went to our main 24 hour autozone in Memphis. no exxon superflo full synthetic there. they did have a promotion if you buy four quarts of exxon superflo you get the fifth quart free. price was 1.29/quart. but...I found German castrol there only 12 quarts there. I'm an admitted cheap bastard but I couldn't resist
grin.gif
I'm running two beaters with dino now, I'll save the GC for my new 2005 Saturn Vue red line with honda 3.5 engine in a year or so

[ November 07, 2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Cutehumor ]

A friend went into the nearby Target a few months ago to buy some Mobil 1. He brings 2 6 qt. cartons to the counter and when they scan the carton it scans at the single qt. price. Thinking quickly, he tells the woman, "Wait, I forgot, I need to get a couple more of these" and walks out with 24 qts. of Mobil 1 for the price of 4.

I went in a few days later and noticed they'd removed all the quart bottles from the cartons...
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
A friend went into the nearby Target a few months ago to buy some Mobil 1. He brings 2 6 qt. cartons to the counter and when they scan the carton it scans at the single qt. price. Thinking quickly, he tells the woman, "Wait, I forgot, I need to get a couple more of these" and walks out with 24 qts. of Mobil 1 for the price of 4.

The same thing happened to me with a 6 pack of M1. I had bought a bunch of other things too so I didn't even notice until I was in the parking lot. I took it back in and told them about their mistake. It was too small and friendly of a town to not return it, even though it was a big enough store that they'd never notice.
If I was in a big city when that happened though, I might just take it. The feeling of anonymity somehow changes things. Besides, this society is based on people ripping other people off. Money isn't real; it doesn't actually represent work for a lot of people (especially in big dollar economics).

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
Only problem with buying this oil super cheap, it is SJ rated. Might be okay in a lawn mower, but how about a brand new car/truck? In my owner's manual, it says SL oil.

I would have bought every bottle. It'll work great in my vehicle calling for SH!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
I remember standing in the checkout line of our local grocery store one day trying to give $10 back to the cashier because she'd mistakenly given me change for a $20 when I'd only paid with a $10. I finally left with the money when it became obvious after 2-3 minutes of discussion that she was not going to take it back, no way, no how. I decided when a company puts me on their payroll to make sure their pricing is accurate and their checkers are intelligent I'll once again start being bothered by such things...

I was with a couple of friends at a local "Bike Night." One guy buys a round of beers, and hands the beer girl a $20 bill. He gets back $40 in change. He started to try and correct the situation, but she just smiled and said not to worry about it.

I would never have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. I can hardly expect any of you to, either. Simply amazing. I wonder how she explained the short till at the end of the night. Who knows. Maybe she was tryin' to get even with her employer for something. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

- Arved

quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:
Too funny. I am out cruising the Autozone, the one where I found the Superflo full syn for $1...

Superflow = Exxon if I remember right? Exxon is related to Mobil? So is this repackaged Mobil 1, the way Texaco Havoline is now repackaged Chevron Supreme?

- Arved

I seriously doubt that running an "SJ" rated motor oil (of the proper viscosity range of course) in a new car engine is gonna shorten its expected service life over use of the same viscosity range "SL" motor oil. If anything, the "SJ" oil has a bit more ZDDP extreme pressure additive. Shoot, my '03 Hyundai V-6 still only calls for "SG"! (So far it hasn't choked on the "SL" I feed it, but, I am really worried...) Am I saying the "SL" rating is misplaced hype? No. Just don't get anal over it.

Small plastic bucket at the register at a store I used to work at...
bubble gum: 2 cents each, or 2 for a nickel....
my register was never short on nickels...amazing huh?

I learned a long time ago, keep your options, your eyes (and mind..)open,,,no matter what the issue is.

My 89 truck would be happy with SF oil, My 95 truck would be happy with SG, My 99 would be more than happy with the SJ oil. Get real, SL oil may be the current std for oil but we've been using older stds up until SL came out anyway. I personally use Chevron/Havoline routinely, good quality, inexpensive oil. But I wouldn't lose too much weight over the decision I'd be making if I found that SJ Exxon oil in the store for that price....
I agree with RayH above, I don't think the planet's orbit would shift if some SJ oil was used in a newer vehicle, it never shifted while it was used in my other ones..
Rando

[ November 07, 2003, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: ZR2RANDO ]

I would rather pay about one buck a quart for some fresh motor oil that meets SL requirments like it says in my owner's manual.

First thing you have to be able to do these days if you want to be a mechanic is to be able to read, and able to read directions. If it says in your owner's manual that you are supposed to use SL-rated motor oil, that does not translate into four year old SJ-rated motor oil. If it says the preferred viscosity is 5W-30, that does not translate into 20W-50.

I know of a guy who was supposed to be a mechanic who nearly killed himself in the wintertime by running a car engine in a closed garage. When my Dad needed to run a car engine in a closed garage he always attached a pipe to the exhaust and let the exhaust gases flow outside. But my Dad was a mechanic-a real one.

I know another guy who used to put pure anti-freeze into his SUV radiator. It does not say that on the side of the container where the directions are. In fact, you get higher boilover protection and greater freeze protection by mixing it 50-50. The highest percentage of anti-freeze to water show be about 70-30.

I would put that SJ-rated oil in my lawn mower engine.

"Superflow = Exxon if I remember right? Exxon is related to Mobil? So is this repackaged Mobil 1, the way Texaco Havoline is now repackaged Chevron Supreme?"

Arved, probably is a pre-merger version as it is SJ. Much like the way Equilon-Havoline is still around.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
I would rather pay about one buck a quart for some fresh motor oil that meets SL requirments like it says in my owner's manual.

Well look at you, Mr. Richie Rich with your fancy new car that's too good for cheap oil.
tongue.gif

Actually, I'd only use SL on a newer vehicle under warranty too; just in case. But on any vehicle off warranty I'd have no problem putting the SJ in there.

You wrote:
[A friend went into the nearby Target a few months ago to buy some Mobil 1. He brings 2 6 qt. cartons to the counter and when they scan the carton it scans at the single qt. price. Thinking quickly, he tells the woman, "Wait, I forgot, I need to get a couple more of these" and walks out with 24 qts. of Mobil 1 for the price of 4.

I went in a few days later and noticed they'd removed all the quart bottles from the cartons...]

BUT YOU FORGOT TO ADD- "This is very dishonest and the same as stealing."

Only problem with buying this oil super cheap, it is SJ rated. Might be okay in a lawn mower, but how about a brand new car/truck? In my owner's manual, it says SL oil.

And how long has that oil sat on a store shelf? How long has SL-rated oil been selling? I once saw an ad for Quaker State oil on sale for a real good price. I went to the store and the stuff was out of date by at least one quality level.

You have to figure there is a reason the stuff is on sale. They were not able to sell it. They want to unload the junk.

quote:

Originally posted by Speed racer:
You wrote:
[A friend went into the nearby Target a few months ago to buy some Mobil 1. He brings 2 6 qt. cartons to the counter and when they scan the carton it scans at the single qt. price. Thinking quickly, he tells the woman, "Wait, I forgot, I need to get a couple more of these" and walks out with 24 qts. of Mobil 1 for the price of 4.

I went in a few days later and noticed they'd removed all the quart bottles from the cartons...]

BUT YOU FORGOT TO ADD- "This is very dishonest and the same as stealing."

I'm pretty sure the original posters $.01 oil wasn't any intentional pricing either. You might want to call him on that...
wink.gif

I remember standing in the checkout line of our local grocery store one day trying to give $10 back to the cashier because she'd mistakenly given me change for a $20 when I'd only paid with a $10. I finally left with the money when it became obvious after 2-3 minutes of discussion that she was not going to take it back, no way, no how. I decided when a company puts me on their payroll to make sure their pricing is accurate and their checkers are intelligent I'll once again start being bothered by such things...

[ November 07, 2003, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back