OMG! 42 qts of SJ Superflo semi-synth for 1 cent each!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by TSoA:
Too funny. I am out cruising the Autozone, the one where I found the Superflo full syn for $1, checking for a sale on the SJ Pennzoil Synth on the shelf still next to the SL. I picked up 2 quarts of the semi-synth Superflo expecting to pay the $1 sale price...they ring it up...2 cents! I grabbed the remaining 40 quarts of 5w-30, 10-30 and 10w-40 for 40 cents. Not a lie, not a joke, not a missprint, 1 cent each. How is that for amazing? Cheapest oil ever. This stuff is probally ok too.
grin.gif
Added to all the GC, I have over 100 quarts in the shrine!

You still can't beat PScholte though....the man has 140-150 qrts of GC.
freak2.gif

You guys are crazy though....I guess you could use some of it for cooking....just make sure your shrine don't catch fire or you'll put one h3ll of a "4th of July" show..........in the middle of winter!
gr_stretch.gif

Rick

PS: I really don't know too much about this oil, but the UOAs that I've seen are ok.....you could complement this oil by adding #132 from Schaeffer's or Valvoline's Engine Protector.....just a though.

rpn453, all I have is a humble little Saturn Ion. I don't own a $100,000.00 MB or BMW.

Motor oil improves all the time. The quality of present day motor oil is far beyond what the quality was just a few years ago. And motor oil does have a shelf life. Pennzoil in a PM Magazine said that the shelf life of unopened motor oil was at least 18 months.

I would use SL rated oil in any car or truck I owned, regardless of the age of that vehicle. How expensive is motor oil, anyway? Conventional motor oil is very affordable. Who cannot afford Chevron motor oil that may be the best conventional (based on VOAs and UOAs) and costs about a dollar a quart?

Some people in the post here talk about how their car or truck required only SF oil, or SG, or whatever. Just because your vehicle required SF or SG oil when it came out, does not mean that you cannot use SL rated oil. In fact, you would probably have a hard time finding SF or SG rated oil, unless it had been sitting in a garage for several years. Do you really want to use motor oil that has been sitting in some forgotten corner of a garage for 5, 10, 15 years? Personally, I will spend the one dollar a quart on the fresh motor oil. Remember, motor oil DOES HAVE A SHELF LIFE!

Even if you can get that 10 year old motor oil sitting in somebody's garage for free, do you really want to put that in your engine?

Some people at this site act like 5-6 dollars worth of motor oil is going to break the bank for them. Well, how do you afford the car insurance if you cannot afford 5-6 dollars worth of motor oil?

Compared to the cost of a new or rebuilt or remanufactured engine, motor oil at just about any price is free! Spending four dollars a quart for Mobil 1 is cheap compared to a new engine!

quote:

BUT YOU FORGOT TO ADD- "This is very dishonest and the same as stealing."

The checkout person is an employee of the company and is authorized to speak for them. If they give you a better price than what's on the shelf, fine.

You'd be mad if you negotiated your best price on a car, only to have the sales manager tell you you "stole" it because the lowly salesperson wasn't authorized to give you that price, or "it was a mistake" or what have you.

There is a post in Interesting Articles entitled 'Sludge Monster.' Go to that post and check out the photos. Might be that motor oil is worth that one dollar and change per quart. Might be that Mobil 1 is worth buying. And Auto-RX too.

quote:

Originally posted by Speed racer:
You wrote:
[A friend went into the nearby Target a few months ago to buy some Mobil 1. He brings 2 6 qt. cartons to the counter and when they scan the carton it scans at the single qt. price. Thinking quickly, he tells the woman, "Wait, I forgot, I need to get a couple more of these" and walks out with 24 qts. of Mobil 1 for the price of 4.

I went in a few days later and noticed they'd removed all the quart bottles from the cartons...]

BUT YOU FORGOT TO ADD- "This is very dishonest and the same as stealing."

I wonder if you ever downloaded "free" music from the net.
I think your comment is kind of harsh. Do you ever call insurance companies crooks?....cuz they are.

All I have to say is that what comes around goes around.
cheers.gif
-Joe

[ November 08, 2003, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

TSoA,
Do you have any idea if the clerk knew this was a FUBAR?I'm always looking for bargins,but this doesn't seem appropriate.

Autozone, at least my autozone, doesn't even carry the superflow synth/blend anymore. Perhaps the pricing was an attempt to get some nut to blow it all out so they can be rid of it.

For the record, it was not marked 1 cent but that was the correct price. Making room on the display shelf is what this was all about, it previously sold for $1 on sale and was now on clearance for 1 cent.
quote:

I would put that SJ-rated oil in my lawn mower engine.

Mystic, I am surprised you are such a pessimist on this stuff. It probally sold for $2.59 a quart, a $100 dollars worth of oil for $.42 cents! Regardless of the cost, I am not being cheap about my oil or my recommended oil. Any of my friends can afford good new oil, but Superflo is a good product they and use my stash for free. SJ meets most cars specs I service anyway, up to 1999 is around when SL came into play. I am comfortable using it in some older cars, I can use the saved money for GC!!! What am also happy about is not having to decide on a top-off oil, I don't wanna spend $5 a quart for topping mom's car, why even spend $1 when I can use the 1 cent oil. No reason to be worried, funny though I can't offer any to my brother-in-law...he WILL think there is something horribly wrong with it for 1 cent! It's not like it's an acidic goo.
dunno.gif
He uses Valvoline or DCO anyway.
frown.gif
Typical cars it will go into for a short change interval...'98 Sentra, '94 Volvo, '87 Audi...whatever comes along, especially my mower!
Also, I don't believe in shelf-life of oil in terms of a couple of years. The stuff sits in sumps for years and still works. In short -motor oil is stable. 5 years is probally fine. Hey, I got some sweet PAO-based Superflo Full Synth SJ there too, who here wouldn't use it?

[ November 09, 2003, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: TSoA ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back