OM646 Oil Recommendations

Hi

First post here as a new member, I have yet to get the terms and specs down for looking into the “best” oil for vehicles so I’m asking for some assistance

I have a MB vehicle fitted with OM646.811 EVO engine which does not have ANY Emissions devices fitted ( they “cat, egr, egr cooler, swirl flaps” have been deleted ) this model also does not have balancing shafts!

I am looking to get the best heavy duty oil for the vehicle and I went down the path of 229.5 oils for better fuel economy

The car currently runs 10w-40 not 5w-40 as it has 171,000 miles and I prefer the thicker oil due to wear on the engine, it does not operate in cold weather and has a engine heater fitted so I’m not worried about cold starting either a long life oil would be a advantage as the vehicle may go over its usual 8,000 mile service interval by a few thousand miles at times

( Edit : fuel being used is high sulfar 10ppm )

what would your choice of oil be for such a vehicle?

Last edited:
I am looking to get the best heavy duty oil for the vehicle and I went down the path of 229.5 oils for better fuel economy

The car currently runs 10w-40 not 5w-40 as it has 171,000 miles and I prefer the thicker oil
due to wear on the engine, it does not operate in cold weather and has a engine heater fitted so I’m not worried about cold starting either a long life oil would be a advantage as the vehicle may go over its usual 8,000 mile service interval by a few thousand miles at times

what would your choice of oil be for such a vehicle?
A higher winter rating does not necessarily mean the oil is thicker. Within a grade any difference would be minor anyway.

Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval does not focus on fuel economy. This approval is what I would suggest for your application. It is a pretty stringent approval.

A higher winter rating does not necessarily mean the oil is thicker. Within a grade any difference would be minor anyway.

Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval does not focus on fuel economy. This approval is what I would suggest for your application. It is a pretty stringent approval.
I’m looking for named suggestions such as shell rottella T4 for example

Do you have any suggestions ?

I’m looking for named suggestions such as shell rottella T4 for example

Do you have any suggestions ?
229.50 is not a fuel economy specification. In any case I would run whatever you want as long as the HTHS is 3.5 or greater.
Exactly what @BMWTurboDzl said. Brand name isn't nearly as important as most people think, because except for a few very large companies, most oil brands are blended by a 3rd party blender. Just make sure you are getting something that meets the MB spec since it will protect your engine better than some random bottle of whatever at the gas station. Mobil 1, Shell, Chevron, Pennzoil... they're all excellent oils with excellent additive packages.

MB 229.5 is not the standard for commercial vehicles, it is the standard for cars without particulate filters.

This engine is mounted in Vito and Viano where the standard for commercial vehicles MB 228.5 is used, they are generally 5w30 and 10w40 oils with TBN 13-15.

You can use MB228.51 as most of these oils also specify and 228.5.

MB228.51 is equivalent to ACEA E6 and API CJ-4/CK-4 .

Any Api CI-4 could also be a good choice.

Last edited:
Do you have any brands in mind that I can pick up?

I’m not sure what you meant by auto oil
Any of the 15-40 diesel oils you find at Walmart or wherever you shop. Diesel oils are formulated to collect and keep soot in suspension. Automotive oils are not.

If you're in the USA, Mobil 1 ESP 0w40 meets 229.51. That will probably be the easiest oil to find in the USA. Still not easy to find, but, it is used in the current generation Chevrolet Corvette, so you should be able to pick some up at a Chevy dealer, worst case.

You don't say what country you live in. If you're not in the USA, disregard my comment.

I looked at a used GLK with the 3.0 diesel the other day, the relative unavailability of oils is one thing that's got me leaning towards no.

An OM646 is new by my standards. But since you’ve deleted the sensitive parts, I’d look at the standard oils. Anything 229.x is likely fine, but I’d honestly just consider the 228.x rated HDEOs as well.

A 10w-40 isn’t more viscous at operating temperatures, and only really makes a difference at very cold temperatures, say <10F.

An OM646 is new by my standards. But since you’ve deleted the sensitive parts, I’d look at the standard oils. Anything 229.x is likely fine, but I’d honestly just consider the 228.x rated HDEOs as well.

A 10w-40 isn’t more viscous at operating temperatures, and only really makes a difference at very cold temperatures, say

Not sure the OP really understood this message!

Fwiw I'm running T6 at 7500 mile intervals in my 255k mile OM648 that's driven pretty hard and short tripped often with 0 consumption

I looked at a used GLK with the 3.0 diesel the other day, the relative unavailability of oils is one thing that's got me leaning towards no.
There is no 3.0L diesel engine in any GLK. The only diesel option for the GLK in the U.S. was the 4-cyl 2.1L Bluetec engine, code OM651.

The list of available oils is long and they are easily found. An OM651 engine requires 229.51 spec oil, though 229.52 spec oil may also be used as it is newer and supersedes 229.51. I've had no trouble sourcing oil for this particular in the last 7 yrs that I've owned it.

Last edited:
Sorry, that was true a few years ago, but is far from true now.
Autozone, Advance Auto, and sometimes WMart have MB 229.51/52 approved oils in store. All three have order online, as do Amazon and eBay. Then there are the specialty online parts houses like AutohauzAZ, FCP, and IDparts.
I just bought a quart of Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 at Advance. They have the 5qt jugs in store too.
I usually use Castrol C3 or LL, but was given some Mobil 1 ESP to try for one OCI. Needed to add a qt for a full change.
Pennzoil Euro L is popular and at WMart.

Back