OLED TV

I know this has been beat to death but...….
I was in Best Buy yesterday to buy a new washing machine.
There was one guy in the department and he had 2 customers ahead of me so I wandered over to the TV section.
I looked at a couple OLEDS and they are incredible.
I wonder what the source is on their display sets?
I should have asked but didn't.

All TVs look great in the show room because the demo source is true 4k and if its a 8k set, true 8k.
You cant get true 4k content in your home unless you buy a true 4k disc.

OLED is the current picture standard TV makers strive for and LG owns the technology. At the same time LG's OLED is not great for bright rooms.

You would be better off with a high end Sony and/or Samsung in a bright room and the picture will be better because they are hybrid LED's with "local dimming" backlighting that come close to OLED. Sony is my preference for that in the 900 series and better.

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
All TVs look great in the show room because the demo source is true 4k and if its a 8k set, true 8k.
You cant get true 4k content in your home unless you buy a true 4k disc.

OLED is the current picture standard TV makers strive for. At the same time LG's OLED is not great for bright rooms.

You would be better off with a high end Sony and/or Samsung in a bright room and the picture will be better because they are hybrid LED's with "local" backlighting hat come close to OLED. Sony is my preference for that in the 900 series and better.
You can get 4k content on Amazon and Netflix (if you have the top tier of Netflix).

On my IPTV some channels appear to be 4k, I guess they are possibly upscaled. I'm using a 4k firestick. Some of the sports like NBA games appear to be broadcast in 4K.

From what I've read online, the LG is the TV you to buy for OLED and not the Samsung. I went the cheap route and bought the TCL QLED (which I know is not as good, but I'm happy with the extra $$$ in my pocket).

Head over to YouTube and look at reviews for OLED TVs and get some perspective there.

Just to clear the air. There is LED and there is LG OLED. Thats it, again, LED OR OLED.

Samsung branded their LED as QLED but it is not real QLED and most likely never will be. Samsung named its plain LED as QLED to confuse the public and compete with LG's REAL OLED screens.

Ok, lets take it a step further, Sony developed the technology all the way back in 2013 and used in their better TVs all the way back 7 years ago, that Samsung calls QLED which is not real QLED. its not som e new technology.
So, again, higher end Sony and Samsung as well as other TVs use this hybrid LED technology but Samsung has created a marketing name/trade name QLED that they are all starting to use even though its not real QLED.

LG and only LG has OLED screens, completely different technology and makes OLED screen for other makers as well. You will be seeing more and more of them as they ramp up production, LG cant keep up with demand.

So in a mid to higher range TV, what you will get is superior upscaling, to make a lower quality image as close to 4k looking as possible. Sony excels in this and if you have a room that isnt too bright, LG OLED screens are the standard.

Just to clear the air. There is LED and there is LG OLED. Thats it, again, LED OR OLED.

Samsung branded their LED as QLED but it is not real QLED and most likely never will be. Samsung named its plain LED as QLED to confuse the public and compete with LG's REAL OLED screens.

Ok, lets take it a step further, Sony developed the technology all the way back in 2013 and used in their better TVs all the way back 7 years ago, that Samsung calls QLED which is not real QLED. its not som e new technology.
So, again, higher end Sony and Samsung as well as other TVs use this hybrid LED technology but Samsung has created a marketing name/trade name QLED that they are all starting to use even though its not real QLED.

LG and only LG has OLED screens, completely different technology and makes OLED screen for other makers as well. You will be seeing more and more of them as they ramp up production, LG cant keep up with demand.

So in a mid to higher range TV, what you will get is superior upscaling, to make a lower quality image as close to 4k looking as possible. Sony excels in this and if you have a room that isnt too bright, LG OLED screens are the standard.

Yep, LG’s OLED is still the best. Though I will say that Sony’s or Samsung’s “QLED”s do come pretty close. LG’s shine best in movies, true 4K/8k, and international sports.....

Though OLED won’t be the only TV brand with it much longer. Skyworth branded TVs are going to have OLED TVs as well (partnered with LG) at a lower pricepoint.......

I have a curved 65" OLED. It's a 2016 model and the last built with 3D capability. I am still amazed by it. Word of caution..... It's too clear at times. You won't believe the well known actresses/actors that have bad complexions. Acne scars, you name it. Like I said, it's too clear at times. If you ever get the chance to watch the film Hugo in 3D on an OLED jump on it. It will blow you out of the room. You will be swatting the dust in front of your face. They stopped making 3D sets after 2016 and it's a shame.

Reactions: JC1
"True 4K" would be the uncompressed origination bandwidth from the camera down a cable and that is 11.88 Gbs or what the Tv / film industry calls "12G"

That signal gets more and more compressed over the post production chain until you get to your house and that looks like this -

A 4K HD disk is 144Mb/s (h.265 compression)

Netflix 4K is about 16 Mb/s (even more h.265)

Back