olds intrigue 3.5 v6 oil usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all.I,m another newbie wanting to know if anyone has a 2000 intrigue with 3.5 v6?Mine seems to drink oil a little bit.What oil would anyone recommend. Thanks!

Welcome to Bitog!

How much oil does it drink?
How many miles on it?
What oil and what grade oil are you using?
Have you replaced the PCV valve?
If so did you use the OEM or an aftermarket valve?

about half a quart every 300 miles.It has 95,000 miles on it.I'm using QState 5-30 conventional.I replaced pcv valve about 1500 miles ago.Luberfiner(autozone) pcv valve

Go buy a PCV from the dealer, if that doesn't fix it then just keep topping up with el-cheapo SM rated dino.

A lot of after market PCV's don't meet the specifications properly. Always buy your PCV's from the dealer!

Thanks for the replies,I've heard these engines use oil but this is just hard to believe.Not sure I'll buy another GM automobile ever again.

GM isn't the only one known to use oil... Not all GM engines are known for this, some are, some aren't. Honda has this issue with some of it's engines and so does some Chrysler's...

It just depends unfortunately!
wink.gif

Good luck!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: gonzo
about half a quart every 300 miles.It has 95,000 miles on it.I'm using QState 5-30 conventional.I replaced pcv valve about 1500 miles ago.Luberfiner(autozone) pcv valve

That is a lot of oil. I mentioned PCV valve because an aftermarket pcv valve can cause increased oil usage. Do as StevieC said, and see what happens. You can give A-Rx a try, or switch to a HM oil and see what happens. If you decide to use A-Rx don't use it with a synthetic or HM oil.

I would try the PCV valve first, then track oil use. If that doesn't work try some of the other suggestions. It would be nice to know what solved the problem if/when you solve it.

The 'Shortstars', like the Northstars, are 'designed' to consume a bit more oil, due to the aggressive cross-hatch on the bores.

Excessive consumption is due to stuck rings. Lots of remedies to try:

Auto-RX;
Piston soak using MMO/Seafoam/other;
Really hard 30-60 mph full-throttle 'blasts' to break the rings free.

Give one or all a try. I don't think viscosity or a HM oil will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back