Olds Buick 3.8 w/manual xmsns. Do they exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering. The mileage those cars get is pretty good and would be more comfortable than an older Honda.
Just an idea, any opinions?

Probably not what you have in mind... but I owned a 1975 Buick Skyhawk in high school. Had an odd-fire 3.8L with a 5-speed.

From the factory? No.

I've heard of people modding W-body cars with the manual trans from the Cobalt SS, though. It takes a lot of mechanical skill and a lot of tweaking to the wiring harness and the computer.

I believe some later 90's into early 2000's Camaro have this combination.

My sister-in law who is a patent attorney making well into the $300's has one parked in Manhattan somewhere for her city escapes.

She does not fit the image whatsoever of the car. Drop dead gorgeous and wears $500-$1000 outfits.

Get a 2000-2002 Camaro/Firebird 3.8L - you'll enjoy it. I had one for 60,000 miles.

Sure you can get a Buick 3.8 in rear drive configuration mated to a manual transmission if you live in a country that sell's Russian built ARO's.

Quote:

Probably not what you have in mind... but I owned a 1975 Buick Skyhawk in high school. Had an odd-fire 3.8L with a 5-speed.

Looks like I had a typo there. I meant 1976. It was a neat little car... plenty of power, good gas mileage (for the era- got around 28), drove and handled nice with its power steering/manual brakes. The engine sounded kinda funny, as it has the early "odd-fire" configuration- basically it sounded like a V8 with two cylinders missing... 'cause that's exactly what it was. I drove it for about a year, and finally got rid of it when I could afford something better.

But yeah... a camaro fits your criteria.

But why buy a car specifically for the engine? The GM 3.8 is a very good engine... but so are lots of others.

Somehow it seems to me that he wouldn't necessarily consider a Camaro if his other choice would have been a Honda. Maybe that's just me, though.
cheers.gif

Agreed..he's looking for something more comfortable than a Honda....a Firebird / Camaro wouldn't usually fit that bill unless he's referring to a 79 Civic. I think he's wanting a LeSabre or Park Avenue with 5 on the floor, which would be an interesting aftermarket install but not available from the factory. The only M/T Buick I've ever seen was an 80-something Skyhawk wagon owned by my uncle, but that had a 2.0.

Like onion, when I first saw this thread, my thought was a 1970's h-body with a V-6 and 5-speed...I hadn't thought about the Camaro/Firebird option....but that's about it......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back