Oldest factory ATF fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the oldest factory fill you have successfully done a drain and fill on? Also, at what mileage is it best to just let it go and only change if it has issues?

For example, is 140k considered a "high mileage" transmission?

Last edited:
1996 Toyota Camry - 150k -- pan drop/filter replacement and Maxlife.

To my knowledge, this was the first time it had been drained. It now has 237k, and I've done several drains through the plug. No issues thus far.

Change it. If a fluid change kills it. Which I have never seen happen in over 30 years as an auto technician it was already on the way out. As far as I'm concerned its an old wives tale.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
it was either on its way out or someone put the wrong stuff in it ...lol

I'm starting ot think this is the case more and more- or a Chrysler didn't have a scan-tool connected to put it in quick-learn mode.

Rescued a 440t4 in a 91 olds ciera that was full of clutch silt and clogged the filter.

Changed filter and fluid and the vacuum modulator. Upped the line pressure and it lived another day.

What car are we talking about? I would call 140K miles a high mileage tranny.

I have never let my cars go that long. If it did happen, then I would do a drain and fill first, then probably another drain and fill a month later. I would also drop the pan before the second drain and fill if it was applicable and change the filter if it had one.

Regards, JC.

I have a 2008 528i that is sorta under my watch - it has a bit over 190k on the factory fill of ATF. The transmission still shifts fantastic.

bought the 93 olds in 2010 had 35k on it. factory trans fluid changed it was 17 years old.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
What car are we talking about? I would call 140K miles a high mileage tranny.

I have never let my cars go that long. If it did happen, then I would do a drain and fill first, then probably another drain and fill a month later. I would also drop the pan before the second drain and fill if it was applicable and change the filter if it had one.

Regards, JC.

Specific vehicle is the GFs volvo with the "life" fluid. 140k miles. It's spec'd for mobil 3309 ATF, but Maxlife ATF will work too IIRC.

Many here, we used to turn cars for profit regularly.

My fav was an 85 Supra, had a harsh engagement and a bit of flare on the 2-3 shift. Original owner never changed the fluid, car had 120k miles on it. We dropped the pan, changed the filter, and then a driveway fluid exchange.

Completely solved all symptoms, drove that car for two years as it was too nice to just sell!

I have used trans fluid exchanges to solve more than a dozen different kinds of very obscure trans issues, most of them were far past 100k miles.

Last edited:
I know a guy who had a Saab 9-5 with the Aisin Warner AF33 5-speed auto, same as my Saab. He brought it to a quick oil change place and they talked him into doing a transmission flush with Valvoline MaxLife ATF. His Saab had about 140k miles and he believed it was still the factory fill. Anyway, he had some shifting problems after the flush and was really upset with the shop. He ended up trading the car because he didn't want to rebuild the trans. On my Saab I do a drain & fill at every other oil change, using Amsoil synthetic ATF. Mine still runs like a sewing machine (knock on wood).

Now it just boils down to me having the guts to do it. She knows I currently perform yearly drain and fills on mine with no issues and that it is only prolonging the transmission's life. She asked me if we should do it with ours, but I am too chicken. What if something was to happen? We are both broke college kids so a new transmission really isnt in our budget. Part of me says "dont fix what isnt broke." The other side of me whats to change it to prolong its life. Plus IIRC, the OM doesnt consider this a maintainance procedure because its a lifelong fluid. Unlike my Jeep (first at 100k then every 30k after)

The dealer says if they do it, there is no guarantee that the transmission will make it out of alive. They actually dont recommend doing it unless the transmission has issues. Heck by the time an issues comes up, it could be too late.. Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back