Older workers increase productivity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion here...

I don't think you can use the presence, or lack thereof, of military service anymore to predict a person's potential productivity or work ethic. The reasons people join the military are not the same now as they were in previous generations. In fact, those reasons change quite frequently. This does not mean that military service is not a good thing. It just means you still have to look at the individual and can't get away with the laziness inherent in stereotypes and generalizations. I have experience with excellent employees, as well as complete dolts, who are former military.

I am saying military has nothing to do with performance in the workplace. It doesn't create better workers or worse workers. Some people are better achievers. They are going to excell whether they were in the military or not. To say military makes better employees based "Only" on thier military and saying they should be hired over non- military only on that principal is not only bias, but usually leads to problems. They then feel entitled and I ve seen this in government positions. Work ethics usually are instilled long before the military and if not you have a hard lifetime to learn it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi
Employees with prior military service are far better employees than those who never served in the military in every aspect...

Why do you use sweeping generalizations

21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Employees with prior military service are far better employees than those who never served in the military in every aspect...

21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

Typical left wing maneuver. Take what I said completely out of context to make a fictional point...

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I am saying military has nothing to do with performance in the workplace. It doesn't create better workers or worse workers.

And I'm saying you're absolutely wrong. Vets are overwhelmingly better employees than non-vets. Are there bad vet employess? Of course there are, but there aren't nearly as many as non-vet employees...

Originally Posted By: Shannow

21.gif
21.gif
21.gif

Typical left wing maneuver. Take what I said completely out of context to make a fictional point...

Yep.

I am saying military has nothing to do with performance in the workplace. It doesn't create better workers or worse workers.

And I'm saying you're absolutely wrong. Vets are overwhelmingly better employees than non-vets. Are there bad vet employess? Of course there are, but there aren't nearly as many as non-vet employees...

Surely there's some statistics that can be wheeled out for that.

Such overwhelmingly better performance should have been studied and documented for sure.

Do you have any actual EVIDENCE of this, or did you pull it out of your sphincter?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The biggest prima donna I work with is ex-Army. He is a whining crybaby and EVERYONE knows it.

Was he in charge of the coffee pot?
smile.gif

Do you have any actual EVIDENCE of this, or did you pull it out of your sphincter?

It was actually in the magazine "Canadian Business", but two very important points:

A) Canadian Military /= American military
B) It was a small sample survey from business owners directly. Something like 5k only, IIRC.

On the topic, I can attest there's a very fine line between following orders and thinking outside the box. I work in the public sector, so anytime I happen to think outside the box, I'm kicked back in and reminded I'm a lowly worker.
smile.gif

^I've been there before. It's an exaggeration, of course, but I've been in a job in which management has attempted to make me quit by making the working conditions adversarial. Perhaps I should have quit. I stuck it out for two years and ended up with a six month severance package plus the ability to collect unemployment. Those sure were a miserable two years, though.

This is one of the reasons that leave me wondering how ANYONE working in offices can have any loyalty to employers or not have work ethic eroded.

Do you have any evidence to refute it, or are you just pulling that out of your arse?

You are making tbe claim, so YOU need to back it up!

Sorry, I don't spend my time researching something just because someone else says I need to...you want the data, look it up, otherwise I don't believe your claim...

The millenials don't want to work and don't think they have to. I would also include the next older generation in that. I see so many of them living with their parents. They're waiting to inherit. All the good tech jobs are being taken by foreign nationals with green cards or the hb1 program.

As far as management in big corporations goes. Its operated like the mafia. You have to fire people or do something unethical to get into the system.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
The millenials don't want to work and don't think they have to. I would also include the next older generation in that. I see so many of them living with their parents. They're waiting to inherit. All the good tech jobs are being taken by foreign nationals with green cards or the hb1 program.

As far as management in big corporations goes. Its operated like the mafia. You have to fire people or do something unethical to get into the system.

Do you have children, if so did they have trouble finding work after college ?

The company I work for has internships to weed lazy bums wanting to do the bare minimum amount of work. We keep the good workers.... and flush the lazy pieces of [censored].

I worked for Company X for 14+ years...was laid off for 7.5 months...and was rehired. Today is the 2 year anniversary of being rehired and I just rec'd the most positive performance review I've ever had. Because I know my own work, either that review is a lie or I'm way better than the rest of my co-workers because the common denominator has fallen so low. I don't know which it is. Supposedly I'm going to get a raise within a month and I know I'll be making almost 20% more than the women in my group who do the same work and have nearly the same length of service. I will turn 62 next month. I also know that I still have a bullseye on my back because of what they're paying me. I'm hoping I can stick it out for another four years.

GrtArtiste

Although the military may instill discipline and responsibility. It also takes away being innovative and creates rule followers and people who do not want to venture outside the box.

Also nonsense. Employees with prior military service are far better employees than those who never served in the military in every aspect...

When I owned my own Business, I saw all kinds of people. Young people who were hard workers, and older workers who were worthless.

One in particular sticks out in my mind. I hired him mainly because he was a Vietnam Vet. He proved to have a poor attitude, an even worse work ethic, and then he was caught stealing from the business. He said he was picked on because he was a Vet. I told him on the day I fired him, that the reason I had given him a chance, was precisely because he was a Vet.

Sorry, I don't spend my time researching something just because someone else says I need to...you want the data, look it up, otherwise I don't believe your claim...

In other words: you pulled that "fact" from your sphincter. Figured.

In other words: you pulled that "fact" from your sphincter. Figured.

LOL, sweeping generalisations, defence of them and attacks on others, then that "don't have to substantiate my claims with any sort of facts" would clearly lead you to the conclusion that there's nothing behind said "facts"...doesn't bode well for the facts being facts at all does it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back