Older Thread, Great Info. Oldey, but not Moldy

Here's the recipe for things like concrobium: 1 qt 3% Hydrogen Peroxide 2 tsp Washing Soda or Borax 1/8 tsp Trisodium Phosphate

How much do you typically apply and how do you apply this mixture?

You can use it to scrub it off. Simple green will also work to remove. You may need more TSP if you use it to scrub.

After the bulk of mold residue is removed, spray it and let it dry! Do not rinse it off. Drying is when it kills.

Credit to KingCake.

This works - I've had great success with this. Great info on this site!

Does that solution work on mold in general? Namely shower liners and tubs? Would be nice to get rid of mold or make it take longer before mold sets back in.

His information is not correct however, contrary to Internet lore bleach does not become "food" to mold. Sodium hypochlorite cannot be metabolized as food by mold or anything else for that matter.

Last edited:
I've used undiluted cider vinegar with a spray bottle; works excellent.

I have heard that bleach does not work, which seems odd to me, but I'm not in a position to question. I have not heard it becomes "food", but that it simply does not kill the mold.

I have heard that bleach does not work, which seems odd to me, but I'm not in a position to question. I have not heard it becomes "food", but that it simply does not kill the mold.
It does kill mold, and it kills the spores as well. However it does not have any residual effect, so whatever it does not contact will continue to grow and any spores that land on previously treated areas will grow again. An agent with residual toxicity is good to help cut down on regrowth.

I've used white vinegar in a spray bottle on bathroom ceiling with positive results as well.

I've used white vinegar in a spray bottle on bathroom ceiling with positive results as well.

It surprises me, specially in this day and age of googling things, that people don’t know just how effective white or cider vinegar really is and how versatile. And of course not harmful like many other cleaning chemicals.

I used a white vinegar in a spray bottle followed a few days later by scrubbing down with hydrogen peroxide mixed with a little dish washing liquid to clean the interior of a mildewed car interior with great effect. All the smell was pretty much gone and the mildew never came back.

I used vinegar first, see before and after images here:

It surprises me, specially in this day and age of googling things, that people don’t know just how effective white or cider vinegar really is and how versatile. And of course not harmful like many other cleaning chemicals.

Not a fan of the smell but white vinegar mixed with Dawn (has to be Dawn!!) is an amazing non-toxic bathroom tile/tub cleaner. With a pre-teen girl and 2 teen boys in the house.... straight from God himself!!

I used vinegar first, see before and after images here:
I remember that thread. It was one of the most offensive things I have seen, especially the steering wheel.

Back