Older Fram ultra

Did y’all ever find out what the real micron ratings were for these.
5um,10um specifically? I found some older ones at a Walmart and grabbed one to put in my transmission cooler line. I’ll use it for like 10k or so and the put the magnifine back in. My Ram 1500 has the most expensive atf I’ve ever seen and warranty is still good for another 30k. Then I can use a suitable non approved fluid.
Hoping the old ultra can help clean the break in wear up a lot?

I read that whole thread already. I laughed and I cried and everything in between lol. It was very drama full and it seems like the poor guy doing the testing just said heck with it before the third video? Or maybe I just didn’t see it.
Anyway his testing was down to 15 microns. Seems reasonable that it would do ok at 5/10 microns since it did so well at 15 and up.

I read that whole thread already. I laughed and I cried and everything in between lol. It was very drama full and it seems like the poor guy doing the testing just said heck with it before the third video? Or maybe I just didn’t see it.
Anyway his testing was down to 15 microns. Seems reasonable that it would do ok at 5/10 microns since it did so well at 15 and up.
Oh by the way I forgot to answer your question.
I might still have the box. I’ll look when I get home. It was one of only 3 on the Walmart shelf that wasn’t the newer build. All three were xg8.
Says 20k miles and 99% at 20um so I do believe it’s not all that old but definitely wire backed as it said so on the box.
So what’s your opinion on this filters ability to filter atf down to an acceptable range?
A Racor filter was tested some years back along with a magnifine. The racor spin on dropped the the iso code to an acceptable range in a short time. That filter is 7 nominal and 10 absolute. I hope the Fram can do the same perhaps not as quickly but ultimately. The racor filter is expensive.

A Racor filter was tested some years back along with a magnifine. The racor spin on dropped the the iso code to an acceptable range in a short time. That filter is 7 nominal and 10 absolute. I hope the Fram can do the same perhaps not as quickly but ultimately. The racor filter is expensive.
Motorking who worked for Fram said the Ultra was 80% @ 5μ. Even though Ascent (Andrew's) testing didn't test down to 5μ, the data looks like it would be that efficiency down low. It was still almost 100% @ 15μ (see 2nd graph in previous link).

Last edited:
Box and filter

Attachments

• A328B5BE-4C31-4813-8FD5-DEFA5773255F.jpeg
    A328B5BE-4C31-4813-8FD5-DEFA5773255F.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 7B56F363-3DCC-4543-9933-AA7E18B9D4E0.jpeg
    7B56F363-3DCC-4543-9933-AA7E18B9D4E0.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 22
^^^ Yep, the old wire backed media. It was made on the 45th day of 2020.

Back