older dell laptop malfunction or faulty parts

girlfriends older windows 7 dell inspiron 5040N keeps "saying" local network cable unplugged" but its plugged in, swapped functioning cables with another laptop with no help. had a good local repair guy for cheep but he is gone. i have replaced " stuff" inside other laptops + wondering if the part where the RJ45 cable end plugs into could be bad. not very savvy but usually get buy using another functioning laptop answering questions

IMO, I hate to be the bearer of bad news.
That laptop is way past its life cycle.
Your attempt to throw part at it without really knowing what is wrong will be more expensive than getting a new used laptop.
If you insist on having the same laptop, you can check ebay and there are some for sale with varying condition for less than $50.

Look at the pins inside the RJ45 jack, they can get bent out of position and lose contact, you may be able to straighten them with a sharp object from outside.

If it's not that, then it's really not worth pursuing further.

FYI; i had two dell laptops that needed MB replacements for the exact described issue; the second time i just used the wifi; it was a work laptop so my level of caring was low.

Either buy a new laptop or a USB ethernet adapter, don't bother trying to repair anything inside the laptop, you'll likely just break the cheap plastic tabs and standoffs in the unit in the process of disassembling it

thanks for the replies. computer suggests WiFi BUT i dont believe its healthy like too much too close cell phone use!! i will check the connector as suggested

Back