Older bottles of Castrol Magnatec question?

pbm

I was in Dollar General yesterday and saw that they had Castrol Magnatec in the older bottles. When I read the
front it said 'dexos-Gen2' but there was no mention of 'SN+' anywhere on the bottles. Would 'dexos-Gen2' mean that they met SN+?

From what I can tell, the original Dexos1 came out in 2010, and dexos1 gen2 came out in 2015. SM was superceeded in 2010 with SN. I would assume that you cannot find Dexos in SM, but I know for sure that Dexos1 gen2 exists in both SN and SN+, I have used both in the past.

The D1G2 oils started hitting the shelves in late summer/early fall 2017 for the GM 2018MY vehicles. The API SN Plus standard didn’t release until around April of 2018 so it’s possible to get a D1G1 rated oil with only SN on the donut label.

The D1G2 oils started hitting the shelves in late summer/early fall 2017 for the GM 2018MY vehicles. The API SN Plus standard didn’t release until around April of 2018 so it’s possible to get a D1G1 rated oil with only SN on the donut label.
I assume you mean a D1G2 rated oil with only SN on the donut label (and not D1G1)....which is what I was trying to find out with this post....does this D1G2 oil that is only labeled SN (not SN+) have the lower calcium etc...that makes it good for GDI engines?

PS: It was $5.50 a quart.

Had to correct myself...

SN plus was that change. Has was Dexos gen 2. Lowering calcium from 2,600-2000 ppm down to 1,500-900 ppm and getting rid of sodium and increasing magnesium to 300-900 ppm... All of that to help mitigate LSPI occurrences.

Coincidentally many oils increased molybdenum 100-200 ppm and boron 150-280 too. And some like Valvoline added titanium too.

Last edited:
Reactions: pbm
I assume you mean a D1G2 rated oil with only SN on the donut label (and not D1G1)....which is what I was trying to find out with this post....does this D1G2 oil that is only labeled SN (not SN+) have the lower calcium etc...that makes it good for GDI engines?

PS: It was $5.50 a quart.

Yes correct, I meant to type D1G2 in the last part of my post. The D1G2 oils I think were formulated against LSPI from the start.

OT but related....while at Walmart today I looked at their motor oil selection (as usual). There were bottles of Castrol, Valvoline and Mobil1 that were SN+ as well as bottles that were SP .....If a person wasn't paying attention he could buy a mix of both. Mobil has changed the label on SP versions (making it easier to see the difference) but the Castrol and Valvoline labels are very similar and more likely to have this happen (buying a mix of both SN and SP).
OTOH, I doubt it would make much difference in your engine.

PS: All of the Supertech syn and Pennzoil syn was SP...

OT but related....while at Walmart today I looked at their motor oil selection (as usual). There were bottles of Castrol, Valvoline and Mobil1 that were SN+ as well as bottles that were SP .....If a person wasn't paying attention he could buy a mix of both. Mobil has changed the label on SP versions (making it easier to see the difference) but the Castrol and Valvoline labels are very similar and more likely to have this happen (buying a mix of both SN and SP).
OTOH, I doubt it would make much difference in your engine.

PS: All of the Supertech syn and Pennzoil syn was SP...
Rumor is that SP oil was being put in SN+ bottles to use the rest of the supply of already made/printed "old" bottles.

Back