Older Bikes With Low Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have the wherewithal to deal with replacing rubber hoses and lines and problems from corroded gas tanks, go ahead. If you'd have to pay someone to take care of it, don't.

I'd rather buy a newer bike with more miles for the same money than one that has just sat. While they may exist, I have yet to see a bike that is not ridden but maintained.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
You can take the tires off a bike, You can take the non working parts off a bike, You can take the old oil out of a bike, But you can't take high mileage off a bike. Older bikes have alot off good points about them. Parts are readily available, they are usually easier to work on then the most current year bikes, and with a low mileage bike you still have alot of trouble free usage left in it.Not to mention lower then new bike cost.,,

If mileage is that much of a concern...then the bike has some inherent problems and I want nothing to do with it! My wife has 70,000 miles on her Pacific Coast, and I have absolutely no reason to believe it will not triple that (or more) without a problem. (Even her 2010 Hyosung has ~12,500 miles.)

I bought my Burgman last year with 830 miles...I expect to hit 6K by, at the latest, the middle of next week.
?.,,

If I cannot trust a bike to run 100,000+ miles with zero internal engine/transmission repairs...I want nothing to do with it.

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Not only did I buy a 4 year old bike with low miles... I bought it from Juan Ruiz inside a dusty Mall down in Tijuana Mexico... the whole story was published in MCN...

What a great history sir. Nice!!

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: hpb
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Why do people buy bikes and not even ride them.

Totally agree! I read these "I only put 500 miles a year on my bike" type comments and wonder why they bother owning a bike.

People have different personal pressures/situations/free time and discharge stress in different ways. A 100 mile afternoon ride maybe worth its weight in gold for some.

I think we all might have hobbies we wish we could spend more time doing.

Agreed! What I meant was I don't see the point of having several thousand dollars tied up in a bike that just sits idle in the garage for 360 days a year. And riding so few miles per year does nothing for your riding skills.

I think alot or people either give into peer pressure to get a bike so "we can all ride together", only to have your buddy's bail out of it after a summer.Or find out they are scared to death of riding a bike. Then their stuck with a bike they either don't want, have the the time to ride, or loose interest in altogether.And maybe don't want to have to go thru the hassle of selling it, so it gets pushed deeper in the garage and covered with junk. It may be they start having kids and priorities change. Those bikes are the ones I want. Low to no miles on them. Replace a few aged parts and you have almost a new bike for a fraction of what it costs new. I don't plan on keeping any vehicle forever, so I ride it until I get bored with it. Then onto another. Keeps riding interesting.,,

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Not only did I buy a 4 year old bike with low miles... I bought it from Juan Ruiz inside a dusty Mall down in Tijuana Mexico... the whole story was published in MCN...

Very cool story. Not much horsepower and geared for the moon. But what a pedigree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back