Older Bikes With Low Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching Craigslist, I have noticed there are a lot of 4-8 year old motorcycles with 1,000 - 3,000 miles. Prices are reasonable and pictures show the bikes to be very clean. However, a few people have told me that an older bike with lower miles is actually worse than a newer bike with higher miles. This is because the machine is not doing what it was designed to do, which is be operating on the road as opposed to sitting in the garage. The tires, hoses, rubber components, and fluids deteriorate when not being used.

This leads me to the question, would you buy an older motorcycle with lower miles?

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer

This leads me to the question, would you buy an older motorcycle with lower miles?

You bet. Just factor the updates into the price with depreciation.

In my world, a 4-8 year old motorcycle is a newer bike, not an older one.

To put it in perspective, take a 40 year old air-cooled motorcycle for example. The tires, hoses, rubber components, and fluids are going to deteriorate if it has 800 or 80,000 miles on it. They will need attention regardless of miles.
Given the choice, I'd opt for the lower-mile one.
Less wear and tear on everything. Bushings, bearings, cylinder walls, etc seem to last longer when they're not used. If it's being ridden a lot, it's in the sun a lot. Sun will fade paint, gauge faces, seat, etc.

And at 4-8 years old, get some new tires regardless of the miles on them.
It's a motorcycle, not a farm implement.

My Sv650 is 12 years old and with very little miles. I bought it when it was 10 years old with 5500 miles, with brand new tires mounted for a SOLID price. Bike was MINT.

As you can see, i didn't ride it was much as i should. But i wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you pay a USED bike price because a lot people expect NEW bike price.

Older bikes with low miles are like older women with low miles...always grateful you are riding them
13.gif

Last edited:
Since a true moto enthusiast replaces things for looks just as much as maintenance--or different tires with plenty of life left because of stellar reviews on some new compound--if you see a screaming deal that is not sun damaged on paint and plastics snatch it up. You can always replace cables and rubber, probably a a similar interval as someone who rides anyway. A KLR was mentioned, anything single cylinder equates to pretty simple upkeep and bringing them back into service.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer

Not only did I buy a 4 year old bike with low miles... I bought it from Juan Ruiz inside a dusty Mall down in Tijuana Mexico... the whole story was published in MCN...

gallery_3131_51_570461.jpg

gallery_3131_51_314625.jpg

Ha! I had a Harley once that I totaled with over 75,000 miles on it. It was only 4 years old. Why do people buy bikes and not even ride them.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Why do people buy bikes and not even ride them.

Totally agree! I read these "I only put 500 miles a year on my bike" type comments and wonder why they bother owning a bike.

You can take the tires off a bike, You can take the non working parts off a bike, You can take the old oil out of a bike, But you can't take high mileage off a bike. Older bikes have alot off good points about them. Parts are readily available, they are usually easier to work on then the most current year bikes, and with a low mileage bike you still have alot of trouble free usage left in it.Not to mention lower then new bike cost.,,

Old bikes are fine, may need carb removal and cleaning if stored a long time with gas, especially E10. Other than that, tires, tuneup, and should provide good service. BusyLittleShop, MCN is the only motorcycle magazine I subscribe to, nearly 25 years now.

A low mileage old bike showing good care OR a rice rocket ridden by a crazy death wish kid who then traded it on a BIGGER one. Your choice. My favorite bike is 80s BMW. One can usually fix it with the tool kit it came with.

I bought my 95 Harley FLHTCU last May with 22,000 miles from the original owner. After a complete going over, the shop said the bike was in very good mechanical condition. The tires looked new but upon closer inspection they had cracks in the center of the tread and the date code was from 2002. After new tires a service and a carb rebuild from sitting and not being ridden, it now has 29,000 miles and runs great. The original owners wife got killed in a terrible car accident and he lost interest and didn't ride it for years.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
You can take the tires off a bike, You can take the non working parts off a bike, You can take the old oil out of a bike, But you can't take high mileage off a bike. Older bikes have alot off good points about them. Parts are readily available, they are usually easier to work on then the most current year bikes, and with a low mileage bike you still have alot of trouble free usage left in it.Not to mention lower then new bike cost.,,

If mileage is that much of a concern...then the bike has some inherent problems and I want nothing to do with it! My wife has 70,000 miles on her Pacific Coast, and I have absolutely no reason to believe it will not triple that (or more) without a problem. (Even her 2010 Hyosung has ~12,500 miles.)

I bought my Burgman last year with 830 miles...I expect to hit 6K by, at the latest, the middle of next week.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Older bikes with low miles are like older women with low miles...always grateful you are riding them
13.gif

Now that's what I'm talking about !
01.gif

Last year I saved $9,000 buying a brand new 2008 Concours 14 that I lucked into. I had the 2014 model ready to go when the shop owner (good friend of mine) said he knew of a brand new 2008 with 3yr warranty for cheap. The C14's haven't changed much over the years and IMO the 08-09's are the best looking, they also aren't rev/speed limited like the years after 09. 08 made the most HP and Neutron Silver is the fastest color.
smile.gif

My 34yr old KZ 1000 still runs like they did back in the day, rubber things rot & wear everything else is fine.

I don't think 4-5yr old bikes with low miles are old. Like others said figure in items that need replacement and don't pay new bike price.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Why do people buy bikes and not even ride them.

Totally agree! I read these "I only put 500 miles a year on my bike" type comments and wonder why they bother owning a bike.

People have different personal pressures/situations/free time and discharge stress in different ways. A 100 mile afternoon ride maybe worth its weight in gold for some.

I think we all might have hobbies we wish we could spend more time doing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna

If mileage is that much of a concern...then the bike has some inherent problems and I want nothing to do with it! My wife has 70,000 miles on her Pacific Coast, and I have absolutely no reason to believe it will not triple that (or more) without a problem. (Even her 2010 Hyosung has ~12,500 miles.)

I bought my Burgman last year with 830 miles...I expect to hit 6K by, at the latest, the middle of next week.
?.,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back