Old Winter Tire Failure

I drove Jr's 2009 Mazda5 yesterday to pick up an oil filter for our Grand Caravan.

It felt terrible, with bad shimmy starting at fairly low speed, and pulled very badly to the left.

I suspected a bad tire, as even losing a weight will not show up at a speed that low.

I installed the all-seasons on the front, and was shocked (but relieved) to see how deformed the front winter tires were. The L one, particularly, was very concave in places, though fine in other places around the circumference. Pressure was fine at around 36 PSI.

20230429_172046.jpg

The tires are Nokian Haakepeliittas, purchased new in 2013, and went 10 winters. I can't complain.

That is a classic tread wear pattern from over inflation.
I tend to over-inflate winter tires by 2 to 3 PSI when I install them c. late October, because the pressure drops as the ambient temperature drops. I probably don't check the pressure as often as I should in the winter, but can't imagine they were ever run grossly over-inflated.

I can complain to myself. In my defence, the vehicle drove fine the last time I drove it a few weeks ago. It seems like something changed suddenly.
What defense? Change tires at 5, max. 6 years.
Tires don’t tell you: hey, I will fail. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have people with shredded tires on a side of the road.

You are lucky! Be thankful you were not on interstate and tire decided to just quit.

What defense? Change tires at 5, max. 6 years.
Tires don’t tell you: hey, I will fail. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have people with shredded tires on a side of the road.

You are lucky! Be thankful you were not on interstate and tire decided to just quit.
Agreed, lesson learned.

Back