Old un-unsed oil filters - still good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy to all in the land of the great and worthy Bitog!

Was doing some digging in my Garage today and found some old oil filters that have never been used. They are at least 10 years old, if not closer to 15 years of age. Aside from being almost old enough to drink and buy cigarettes, are these filters safe to use in a motor vehicle?

What say the learned? Said filters are Fram and AC Delco and one with a "Texico" sticker.

I'd be worried about the ADBV stiffening up and the filter element becoming brittle. Filters are cheap. Consider the cost for a $5-10 filter vs. The $40 in gas you put in your car every week. Not really all that significant in the scheme of things, so Id play it safe and get a new filter

+1 ... buy a new filter. Could cut those old ones open for some fun and to see what they really look like inside.

Id keep the Texico one as a collectors piece.
smile.gif

I've used older filters without issue, but I too would be worried about the ADBV becoming old and hard. I personally wouldn't want to use any that are older than 10 years old. The Mobil 1 I'm using on the Integra was bought at Goodwill and it doesn't have a date on it but it's probably about that old based on the older artwork on the package. Oh, and I do agree with others about keeping the Texaco one on the shelf. That's a neat collectors piece. I collect and display my older ones, like my old Shell filter and my old Purolator filter.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I've used older filters without issue, but I too would be worried about the ADBV becoming old and hard. I personally wouldn't want to use any that are older than 10 years old. The Mobil 1 I'm using on the Integra was bought at Goodwill and it doesn't have a date on it but it's probably about that old based on the older artwork on the package. Oh, and I do agree with others about keeping the Texaco one on the shelf. That's a neat collectors piece. I collect and display my older ones, like my old Shell filter and my old Purolator filter.

I forgot to mention, another thing to watch for is rust.

You could cut one open and look for any problems.
I don't think you'd find any, although a garage in Florida would be subject to high temperatures and high humidity, not a good combination from the standpoint of filter shelf life.
If you see anything more than a spec of rust on the baseplates, just throw them out.

Those wholesale clearance items, including oil filters, that you can buy from RockAuto are more than 15 years old! Be warned.
wink.gif

I added a couple to an order once, as well as some unrelated seals. I will not buy such items from RockAuto again, they should be giving them away for free with a disclaimer that these parts may be unusable.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Those wholesale clearance items, including oil filters, that you can buy from RockAuto are more than 15 years old! Be warned.
wink.gif

I added a couple to an order once, as well as some unrelated seals. I will not buy such items from RockAuto again, they should be giving them away for free with a disclaimer that these parts may be unusable.

scary

I've received some questionable oil filters from them before as well... some Beck/Arnley filters that cross-reference to the AC Delco PF47. The boxes look like they've been through a war, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back