Old Tundra Headlamp Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Skippy722 - Is this what you are referring to?

Aukee H4

Those look like they'd perform significantly better, but I'm with nthach. Diode however doesn't currently make any bulbs for dual filament applications. The Morimoto 2 stroke 2.0's also do a good job.

Originally Posted by nthach
Transport Canada has approved Sylvania's LED headlamp bulbs for on-road use as the primary forward lighting. DOT hasn't.

For one, DOT doesn't "approve" anything. Two, do you have a link to TC saying they "approved" the Sylvania product? Three, those things that get called "headlamp bulbs" in Canada are called fog lamp bulbs here for
good reason.

Originally Posted by Dave_Mark
Transport Canada has approved Sylvania's LED headlamp bulbs for on-road use as the primary forward lighting. DOT hasn't.

For one, DOT doesn't "approve" anything. Two, do you have a link to TC saying they "approved" the Sylvania product? Three, those things that get called "headlamp bulbs" in Canada are called fog lamp bulbs here for
good reason.

those are the ones I'm referring to. Looks like DOT optics strike again.

Looks like DOT optics strike again.

What does that mean?

Canada's vehicle regulations (and by extension, lighting) are the same as the US save for the fact that Canada also permits some European stuff.

I think you mean looks like the marketing department strikes again. There's never a shortage of gullible consumers ready to fall for the latest fad, if this entire thread is any indication.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Those look like they'd perform significantly better, but I'm with nthach. Diode however doesn't currently make any bulbs for dual filament applications. The Morimoto 2 stroke 2.0's also do a good job.

Thanks Skippy722. Without your explanation, I would have no idea why the 360* bulbs are wrong for the Tundra reflector headlight.
Many people chime in; you went took it to the next level.

I ordered these, as the beam is said to be close to the stockers:
BeamTech 9003 H4

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Thanks Skippy722. Without your explanation, I would have no idea why the 360* bulbs are wrong for the Tundra reflector headlight.
Many people chime in; you went took it to the next level.

I ordered these, as the beam is said to be close to the stockers:
BeamTech 9003 H4

I just have a very very strange fascination with lights
lol.gif

Update - Installed BeamTech LED bulbs.
Again, a huge thanks to Skippy722 for his guidance.
I never would have known; now I do.

Here are pics for comparison; notice there is no washout on the lattice, rather a cutoff line.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I love this old truck. Runs perfect. People check out the other cars then ask me how much for the Tundra... It ain't for sale! Sheesh!
My cowboy friends tell me, "Ya ain't s*** if ya ain't got a truck." This is my best tool.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Tundra reflectors are so large that minor manufacturing flaws from an off-brand clone won't be as big of a deal as in a small housing. Optically, it also means they might be better able to handle *minor* differences in LED geometry from a filament bulb better than smaller assemblies. Hwoever, I can't see the hotspot and the above discussion on hotspots is exactly right. There ideally will be a hot spot at the very top of the battern for downrange light, with the cutoff immediately above it. It's pretty hard to do. My gen1 tundra (which was an excellent truck, agreed!!) didn't have a sharp cutoff to begin with. It kind of warmly lit everything around in a consistent blanket of light which was great around town, in fields and campgrounds, but not great on the highway. I'd suggest putting a halogen bulb in one of them to see if a halogen bulb provides a better model.

Originally Posted by meep
Tundra reflectors are so large that minor manufacturing flaws from an off-brand clone won't be as big of a deal as in a small housing. Optically, it also means they might be better able to handle *minor* differences in LED geometry from a filament bulb better than smaller assemblies.

I have no idea where this notion came from, but I am interested in who told you this, or where you got this notion from!

Optically, all it means is that the Tundra has a good part of the reflector available for the low beam. A H4 bulb's low beam filament can only see the upper half or so of the entire reflector thanks to the metal shield right next to the filament.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A big headlamp just means the H4 bulb can use more of the reflector, which is generally a good thing. A small, vertically challenged H4 headlamp, like on late 90s Camry's, means poor low-beam performance since it can only see a pretty short sliver of the reflector.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back