Old Toyota Trucks at U-Haul

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rented a moving truck recently. It was a 1989 Toyota. I noticed all the other trucks (Chevy, Ford, etc) are relatively new. The Toyotas were the oldest units. What is the deal? Do these things outlast the rest? The one I had had 180K on the clock (prob 3rd or 4th rebuilt motor?), but ran decent for something of that age.

"Do these things outlast the rest?"

evidently so, based on your experience (and millions of other folks
wink.gif
)

"..... (prob 3rd or 4th rebuilt motor?)"

probably not, since rebuilding an engine is usually not cost effective for a rental fleet, especially an older unit like this that is more than fully depreciated. They'll run it until it can't go anymore and scrap it. 180k is nothing for the older toyota engines. It's not going to smoke the tires but it will get you there and back more than a few times.

I rented some GMC Diesel truck at u-haul which was pretty old. I don't remember how many miles were on it, but it was at least 10 years old.

Hi

In northern N.E. , the norm for rental antiquity is Ford F-350's from the mid to late 80's.

Toyota's of that vintage would be quite rare. Usually, ricers have been consumed by corrosion before they are much over a decade old.

I used to work for U-haul repairing their stuff. They won't repair an engine. They will get a brand new not rebuilt one thats complete with all the accesories and just dump it in.

Every 30K the trucks get a major going over which includes new belts. They cut the old belts off and use a U-haul only special tool to roll the new belts onto the pullys w/o ever touching the adjusting bolts
shocked.gif

Once another guy and I did an engine swap in a WalMart parking lot for a customer. We had the 7.3 diesel out and the new complete engine installed in about 4 hrs.

It's easy when you don't have to swap all the extras such as water pumps and pullys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back