Old tires squealing and fishtailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the tires age you may have to lower the pressure
on a solid axle unladen truck to maintain wet traction.

This is not rocket science guys. This is a basic. What is going on here in this group think?

Jeepers!

I had to knock 3 psi off the rear of my New Jetta or it was skitterish = and thats FWD wih NO stabilizer bar.

That's another thing :

maybe time for some new, fresh rear stabilzer bushings - If its got one,

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
That pressure is likely too high.

What is the decal pressure and does it have allowance for laden and unladen?

The decal calls for 29 psi in front and 32 psi in rear. There are no pressure change allowances for payload on the decal or in the owner's manual. I checked the rear pressures today - one was 33.5 psi, about where I last set it, and the other was 29.5. I reset both to 30 psi, 2 psi below the decal.

There is no visual cracking on the sidewalls or tread surfaces, just some shallow fine cracking on the side of the outer treads.

Would it make sense to get an alignment before buying new tires?

Originally Posted by Tom NJ

If it's been a while since the last alignment, I personally would get one just before new tires as a matter of course.

Originally Posted by Tom NJ

Good luck honestly. I guarantee you the rear cam adjusters on the control arms are frozen shut. I asked about an alignment when I got my tires and they just laughed and said if I wanted to replace the control arms they would, otherwise it wasn't happening.

Originally Posted by 440Magnum
Yes, tire compounds harden with age, and that can definitely affect traction, especially wet/cold traction. Time for some new shoes... LTXs are still among the best truck/SUV tires IMO.
+5
Those tires are toast. Michelins are known for this, I have had to replace several sets of them that had plenty of tread left because of this. Michelin says that they must be replaced at 10 years old, regardless of how much tread is left on them https://www.michelinman.com/howLongTireLast.html

So I think I am settled on the Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires. My owners manual calls for size P265/70R16 T111. Is this the best for my driving conditions?

"The truck does little hauling and is driven fairly gently, never over 70 mph, seeing about 70/30 of paved vs gravel roads in a hilly environment with a few snow and ice storms each year (Appalachian Mountains of southwestern Virginia at 2,500 - 3,200' elevation). The gravel roads can sometimes be a bit rough and steep, sometimes crosses shallow streams, and it is not uncommon to have to park on grass. It only sees about 1,500 miles/year so tread life is not an issue at all. Priorities are first traction (dry, wet, and snow) with comfort/noise second and price third."

Thanks again for all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back