old supertech cutaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know this is old news, but this filter has been serving duty on my truck since about 2011. I drained it once 2 years ago without changing the filter, and ran a 2 year OCI on the next change. so a total of 3 years in service.

the truck is a 83 chevy k20. it is my powered wheelbarrow and spray rig in the summer, and a plow rig in the winter. gets tons of idle time, but not much road time. I can verify with my records, but the total miles driven on the road since 2011 is about 700 miles.

with all the horror stories about the supertech and ecore, i thought i'd have a let's see.

i have to say i was genuinely surprised

and most surprising:

made in USA! odd.

i really expected to see some type of deterioration being in service for 3 years. the end caps are still firmly glued and the filter core is wholly intact.

it is now wearing a napa gold. i do not intend to keep them in service this long again ... but i did find this interesting.

Last edited:
It looks like a black can of death...
grin.gif

I never used them, but it sure looks good, especially for being in service 3 years! Whatever happened to the Supertech filters anyway?

Last edited:
You had more chance at winning at lottery then having issue with that filter.wich I could know the filter number for my note,is it avail only online via cram gees.shame wally got scared .still have a month so maybe I can find some in store seal wrapped filter

Originally Posted By: jk_636
grin.gif

I never used them, but it sure looks good, especially for being in service 3 years! Whatever happened to the Supertech filters anyway?

They quit making them, presumably because it's cheaper for WM to sell OCODs and Tearolators as their low end filters.

Originally Posted By: evanautumn
Originally Posted By: jk_636
grin.gif

They quit making them,...

Quit making them as Super Tech. But still sold as STP at AZ and used in WM TLE as Fram Core and Firestone quick lube and some others brands.

This ecore looks ok, thinking this application has a block bypass and no combo valve.

Does it say product of USA or made in USA? I'm told that product of USA just means the parts where assembled here but made somewhere else. Kind of like the furniture at some places here in NC. The parts come from overseas and then get assembled here and can be labeled product of USA.

At least that is my understanding.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Does it say product of USA or made in USA? I'm told that product of USA just means the parts where assembled here but made somewhere else. Kind of like the furniture at some places here in NC. The parts come from overseas and then get assembled here and can be labeled product of USA.

At least that is my understanding.

Or how the Sprinter vans were made from knockdown kits imported from Europe.

it did say product of usa. makes sense.

for that old dog, i kind of just wanted the cheapest thing i could find, and the supertechs were always less than 3 bucks.

i hadn't really intended to go more than a year, but after 1 year of service, the oil still hadn't changed color and i never had to add any so i figured i'd try and go longer. kind of forgot that the year before i never changed the filter, just dumped the pan and added 4 quarts of new.

it has been an interesting couple of years so the minor details got missed
smile.gif

either way, i was surprised to see everything fully intact. guess i should't have been, but i knew it was a cheap filter when i put it on.

napa gold from here on out ... maybe the silvers if they are on sale too.

I used to run Supertec filters in my old Solstice Ecotec 2.4. They were cartridge filters, so you could see them when you took them out, every time. Purolator filter elements appeared to begin to fray after a long OCI. Supertec filters did just fine, even with a long OCI. I still have a couple left over in my garage, if anyone wants them and is near the west side of Indianapolis. They are gtg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back