Old school oil changer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new 12 Accord. Honda says change at 20% on MM. I think it should be done much sooner. I believe with almost 2000 mi on the FF oil, it should be changed to rid of the break in contaminants, right? Or should I put some more miles on it? Most of the miles are freeway at 60 or 70 mph. What would be the consensus on what type and brand of oil to use on its 1st OC. Semi or full syn?? Do you think it has been broke in by now? Do I use a dino oil for the 1st OC or go right to syn? I kinda like amsoil, I've used it in my motorcycles for years. I know there are so many good oils out now. Just want the best for my investment. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks Kevin

Read the owner manual, Honda is one of few manufactures recommends keeping FF oil for the full OCI, because it contains some special break-in additives.

You can gage ring seating by consumption. When you can make 20% on MM without having to add make-up oil(adding only 8 ounces is ok too), the rings are seated.

It doesn't hurt either way. You will NOT hurt a Honda engine by changing the oil early. I would then follow with a major brand oil that is on sale. I would use conventional because I would flush it again in 2k miles, then I start using a 'syn' that is on sale. I have no loyalties as I believe all major oils are very good so the cheaper the better.

I thought Honda uses a high molybdenum break-in oil and that is why they push for a full initial run.
Has this changed?

Welcome to Bitog.

Last edited:
I wouldn't spend the extra for AmsOil in that engine since you're limited in OCI by what the factory recommends, and the K series runs forever on anything.

Go become a fan of some easy to find brand, Pennzoil, Mobil, Castrol, Quaker State... whatever... and maybe do your changes at 50 or 40% on the MM.

I'd go straight to syn if that's what you'd prefer to run. 2012 is still port fuel injection so a synthetic really isn't necessary, but then it's probably 4 bucks every 7000 miles so it's not like a huge burden either.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Read the owner manual, Honda is one of few manufactures recommends keeping FF oil for the full OCI, because it contains some special break-in additives.

+1
Keep it in until the MM tells you. Amsoil? Lots of great choices at much lower prices (synthetic and dino). Amsoil is great but is it necessary in these engines?

Thanks a bunch for all your advice!! I will keep the FF in until MM reads 30. My dealer is going to do my OC for free for 2 years and unlimited miles so that is good. Thanks again....

Originally Posted By: jimmyjack
Thanks a bunch for all your advice!! I will keep the FF in until MM reads 30. My dealer is going to do my OC for free for 2 years and unlimited miles so that is good. Thanks again....

Make sure he gives you the oil you want, though.
If you are planning 0w20 pure synthetic, make sure the service department agrees, not the sales department.

My Honda dealer was firm that I run the FF to 10% MM and then one bulk OC to 10% MM. Then switched to full syn 0w-20, whatever is cheapest. The car burns virtually no oil and the internal cleanliness is amazing.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back