Old Rifle from WW2 do I need a license

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has a type 44 carbine which he got while he was in korea. He has the military permit to bring it to this country.As dad con no longer care for himself he wants me to take this rifle. I dont have a rifle or pistol license. Do I need one for this rifle. I am not sure if it works but my father says it does.

Assuming that you are in the United States, you do not need a "license" for that rifle. However, there may be other considerations. For example, the state of Illinois requires that you have a Firearms Owner Identification (FOID) card. In the state of Kalifornia, an M1 Carbine may well be considered an "assualt weapon" and not suitable for ownership.

Some cities require that you apply for (and receive) permission to store said firearm.

At a bare minimum, I think you'd need a FOID card.

Call your local PD (non-911, of course...
grin2.gif
) -- they should be able to tell you how to get started.

In PA, nothing is needed at all. You can buy and sell long arms freely, store and use them responsibly with no issues.

Originally Posted By: opus1
At a bare minimum, I think you'd need a FOID card.

Call your local PD (non-911, of course...
grin2.gif
) -- they should be able to tell you how to get started.

Is there any other state other than Illinois that requires a FOID card? Hawaii, Mass, NY, DC.....

State Firearm Laws

Last edited:
Raaizin,

By what you are describing your father has a M-44 Mosin Nagant type carbine most likely a Chinese model that was a capture or bring back from Korea.

These are nice carbines and you can still find cheap military surplus ammo for them. Just make sure you clean it good and you might want to have the headspace checked before you shoot it. Once the headspace checks out, you can safely shoot the rifle, it is nearly indestructible. There is whole web community for these types of rifles. A good place to start is http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
Where are you?[/quote

I am in NJ

kballowe said:
Zorro - Arisaka also had a Type 44 carbine....

I believe it is an Ariska type 44. It was made in japan and has the Japanese crescent which was on many weapons of the time. It has a bayonnet which folds into the body. I dont intend to use it as he had the stock redone in korea. He had the stock replaced in black and a mural in pearl with his name, part of korea he served and year inscribed in it. It looks quite nice even if he may have ruined its originality. I will keep it for what it is a memento from my dad who is very patriotic and all around great person.

Thanks for all the responses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back