Old PU mix with PU Pureplus??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this in the Q&A also but i'm not sure if it's still even active so I decided to make a whole new post as well.

Not sure if this has been asked but can you mix the old PU with this new stuff?

I ask because I am ready for an oil change and I have a few quarts of the old PU but the only PU I can find now is this new pureplus.

Yes you can mix them they are very similar. You can mix any API SN oil with any other API oil, it's part of the specifications to be miscable.

On that note I think those two oils will mix well.

Some try to avoid mixing oils with vastly different additive packages but at worst your diluting the more powerful oil down to the lower tier oil since the additive packages are usually well balanced to work together.

Something like Valvoline uses heavily based sodium additive package while Pennzoil and most others use high calcium bases. Those are two types of oils I'd mix carefully and if I did I wouldn't do an extended oci.

Go for it....

It's probably the closest thing out there to the old PU.

I'm picky about this too.

I have some Castrol Edge that I've been worrying about mixing just because they changed the labels.
smile.gif

Well I got the new PU and I am about to go put it in. hope it's is good as the last gen.

The walmart I went to did have some of the old PU 5gal jugs but they only had 10w30 and 5w30 and while i have done a mix with the 5w30 before I just went ahead and got the new stuff in the appropriate weight.

Well after pouring one of the quarts I had in I cut the top off to use as a funnel and this is what I found after I was done and looked in the bottom half.

CAM00269_zps6f23726a.jpg

CAM00271_zps4e690b9e.jpg

CAM00268_zps24c2f0b8.jpg

All the jugs (even the new 5gal one) seem to have this to some extent. I have never noticed a thick sludge in any other oil and this is reinforcing the idea of going back to Valvoline SynPower.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Not really much difference. Oil is oil and as long as it is the same grade it is fine.

You can mix grades if trying to achieve specific viscosity characteristics. In fact redline recommends it.

Originally Posted By: 351mustang65
Well after pouring one of the quarts I had in I cut the top off to use as a funnel and this is what I found after I was done and looked in the bottom half.

CAM00269_zps6f23726a.jpg

CAM00271_zps4e690b9e.jpg

CAM00268_zps24c2f0b8.jpg

All the jugs (even the new 5gal one) seem to have this to some extent. I have never noticed a thick sludge in any other oil and this is reinforcing the idea of going back to Valvoline SynPower.

It's settling out. A simple shaking of the bottle would have mixed that stuff back in.
Honestly,comparing valvoline to pennzoil ultra is laughable.
Syn power isn't in the same league as ultra,sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back