old PU better to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart has the old P Ultra on the "clearance sale" shelf for $25/jug. I haven't kept up on the PUP threads. Other than possibly saving a couple bucks, is there any reason to buy the old version instead of the new formula? Date stamps are July 2013.

That's a good question.
We know the older stuff was awesome...the newer stuff is probably great too...but is it as good as the original?

$25 a jug isn't really a great deal as it has been on 'clearance' for $21 at WM for quite a while.
I'd probably just get QSUD for $22 and call it good...

Sopus said they made the oil change last year to pure plus tech, but ONLY changed the label this year. So just because you have old label does not mean 'old oil' without pure plus tech.
$25 is not a great clearance price.

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured the price wasn't anything great, just wandered if the older label was worth jumping on while it is still around.

But it's still around places? If so, I guess I should wait and see if I see it cheaper than $25 in the coming days.

I picked up several quarts of older PU 5w30 and 10w30 at the AZ clearance for $3 a quart.
$3 a quart is a great PRICE...

Originally Posted By: lukejo
But it's still around places? If so, I guess I should wait and see if I see it cheaper than $25 in the coming days.

I don't think it's at many places, so if you want it, you should probably grab it up before it's gone.

I guess I'll get some. Worst case, it is the new formula in the old label and I'm still saving a little compared to the new PU.

PU is great new or old.

Grab whatever you can get.

I loaded up on the old 5W-20 PU (40 quarts) with the Pep Boys/FRAM filter blow out deal.

I am glad to have it in my personal strategic oil reserve.

yeah i bought a bunch of the ultra back when walmart was clearancing it all out.

I'll probably switch to a different synthetic when my stock runs out in the 5w20 that i've been running my car.

I switch oils all the time. who knows what'll end up doing with it.

maybe I'll eventually decide to run motorcraft like i always thought about doing.

Is there a good topic discussing/comparing new/old PU? I noticed the Noack Volatility is indeed drastically different between the Old PU I'd been running with great success in my IS350's 3.5L v6 (out to 15k OCI's even!)... 6.5% for the old vs. 11.5% for the new. Sheesh! No HTHS listed, pour point is inferior, VI is inferior, etc. Only a UOA in my engine will tell the most important story, but I'm still very curious. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: BeerLube
Only a UOA in my engine will tell the most important story, but I'm still very curious.

No it won't. Since it's a different lube altogether, how will we use a UOA to compare? Unless the TBN retention is such that the OCI will be markedly shorter or longer than the previous version, or that shearing has suddenly become a problem in a certain application, there's nothing we can divine from a UOA or two. Even my two hypothetical examples aren't properly satisfied by a UOA or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back