old powermater generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have chance to buy an old powermate 5000er generator.
it has a tecumsah engine 10hp
the engine runs fine but on the panel, the 220v receptacles
look like 110v receptacles. what should i look for
in buying this?
thanks

It sounds like the 220 outlets are NEMA 6-15R, with "squinty eyes" instead of vertical slots.

I would look for a switch to gang the two phases together so you get the full ~30 amps on one 110 outlet. It's handy to keep things balanced if you have one heavy duty thing that draws lots of juice starting up.

If you have a kill-a-watt meter (libraries loan them out) see how close it holds 60 cycles under various loads.

If you are considering this for home standby power, consider it'll probably burn through a 5 gallon can of gas in well under eight hours.

Have you measure voltage? Plug in an electric heater to load it a bit. You can make up a connector for the 220V outlet. Its just old where the neutral and ground were connected. You may need 220V for a water pump, I do.

Those were not expensive gensets. Nor do they have a reputation for long life. That engine is particularly sensitive to oil change and viscosity requirements.

Unless it's $100.00. I'd look at something else.

Around here (South Florida), they sold for $400-$450 new.

My 5KW Powermate is a noisy POJ I revived it after going without power for 4 days after Irene. It took 40 bucks worth of Tecumseh carb bits to get this 20yr old HM100 running.But both voltages work. It gets a 220v dryer element cherry red. It can make a 4 foot 120v portable strip heater toasty too. Honestly, I'm sort of glad it wasn't going. for the outage. It is noisy and has a 1 gallon tank. Pull start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back