Old pennzoil vs new pennzoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading some of the post hear lately I get the feeling the new Pennzoil isn't as good as the old. Is there any proof of this. Ive only used the ultra once , cant find it anymore but the platinum I can find everywhere.

No, not really.

The new Pennzoil Plus is actually positioned to meet new GF-6 standards.

Seems like some people just tend to get caught up on certain specs. Used to be HTHS viscosity and viscosity index, now Noack volatility is the in vogue number to obsess over ever since PQIA's 5W-20 test.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
Is there any proof of this.

Not really. People are trying to pick apart some specs and read from tea leaves at this point. I think only time will tell how good/bad these new PP and PUP are.

Many, not all drivers are looking for their own mental relief that the oil molecules are doing their job. Its just mental relief knowing that all those oil molecule are sinking down into the crevice of journals, cams, and so on cleaning, waxing, polishing and shining their little engine parts.....I can resemble that remark.........its all mental...lol

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Many, not all drivers are looking for their own mental relief that the oil molecules are doing their job. Its just mental relief knowing that all those oil molecule are sinking down into the crevice of journals, cams, and so on cleaning, waxing, polishing and shining their little engine parts.....I can resemble that remark.........its all mental...lol

just as long as my oil is rolling like marbles,than the dreaded dice roll.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
The real question is, why is Pennzoil getting away from GTL base stocks?

What?
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: subaroo
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

just as long as my oil is rolling like marbles,than the dreaded dice roll.

I think you mean liquid ball bearings

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Phishin
The real question is, why is Pennzoil getting away from GTL base stocks?

What?
confused2.gif

Quattro....didn't someone post some NOACK numbers for PUP and they were like 10-12% or something like that? Or am I wrong on that? If I am....ooops.

Yes, it appears that Noack may have increased some, but how did you conclude that this means that they're getting away from GTL? Their whole current PUP marketing campaign circles around GTL.

Isn't it possible that in the past they were using something even less volatile than GTL and that's why Noack was so low previously?

I think they are using a mix of grp 3 and GTL in the new ultra hence the higher Noack.

Also they have realized very few customers are after high end oils. Maybe they want to leave the market to Redline and Amsoil.

Shell is a large organization they don't need boutique oils such as ultra.

...umm, the GTL SOPUS uses is Grp III.
The GTL basestock is characterized by exceptionally low volatility.
Cost isn't a factor, since the natural gas feedstock represents a resource that would otherwise have mostly been flared into the desert sky.

It's all just a marketing ploy. After a few months, they'll eat crow and bring back the old formula Pennzoil. But they will change the name to Pennzoil Classic.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rw19
I think they are using a mix of grp 3 and GTL in the new ultra hence the higher Noack.

Also they have realized very few customers are after high end oils. Maybe they want to leave the market to Redline and Amsoil.

Shell is a large organization they don't need boutique oils such as ultra.

They MSDS for both versions say the same thing: Fischer-Tropsch (i.e. GTL) base oils plus <3% highly refined mineral oil used only to dilute additives. So it's still a GTL oil; but maybe there are various grades of GTL base stocks, which could account for the near-doubling of Noack volatility. In any event, it's still easy to view the new Ultra as inferior to the old.

Originally Posted By: AP9
Seems like some people just tend to get caught up on certain specs. Used to be HTHS viscosity and viscosity index, now Noack volatility is the in vogue number to obsess over ever since PQIA's 5W-20 test.

I do like seeing a low NOACK, but we've seemed to have jumped over the cliff on that matter. If one wants a great NOACK, go buy an SAE 40. Your HTHS will be way too high and your VI will be way too low, but the NOACK will be nice, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back