Old Oklahoma high school listed for sale as single-family home

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Very unusual and weird situation/ property to say the least. With single family home prices at record highs, and some indicators pointing to a very large surge in single family home prices if interest rates drop a couple points- wonder if some people may look at a property of this nature that are priced out of traditional homes. Not that this is any bargain at 60k- I think just roofing the place would more than the sales price.

BURBANK, Okla. (KOKH) — An old high school in Burbank, Oklahoma, has been listed for sale as a single-family home.

Listed for $60,000, the high-school-turned-home was originally constructed in 1924 and contains 17,408 square feet of living space sitting on a 1.76-acre lot. The residence is listed as a single-family home with five bedrooms and four bathrooms.

Around here, the school districts have tried to sell their older (80-100 year old) buildings for pennies on the dollar. However, they have discovered that every time, they sooner or later fall into the hands of an owner who doesn't have the financial means to take care of such a large building... then they fall into disrepair and become a nuisance.... which leads to endless city building code violations, or an abandonment and a long drawn out foreclosure, or an 'unexpected' fire that guts the building, injures a fireman, and leaves the building in a completely unrepairable condition. Then, it eventually gets torn down anyway.

So, the school districts just take a short cut and tear them down themselves, and donate the land for a city park... with a monument in honor of the school building that had been there.

We had an old high school abandoned - flooded a couple times etc.
A successful oil field contractor bought it and here comes his CAT machines & crews … They dug a huge retention pond where the football field was - then used the dirt to build a large berm around the entire property - then a classy steel fence on the berm … Then fully landscaped … 🌴 🌴🌴🌴🌴
They converted buildings/gym into large exercise facilities - dance classes - a large day care - and office space for lease …

Around here, the school districts have tried to sell their older (80-100 year old) buildings for pennies on the dollar. However, they have discovered that every time, they sooner or later fall into the hands of an owner who doesn't have the financial means to take care of such a large building... then they fall into disrepair and become a nuisance.... which leads to endless city building code violations, or an abandonment and a long drawn out foreclosure, or an 'unexpected' fire that guts the building, injures a fireman, and leaves the building in a completely unrepairable condition. Then, it eventually gets torn down anyway.

So, the school districts just take a short cut and tear them down themselves, and donate the land for a city park... with a monument in honor of the school building that had been there.

Two around here have been sold privately and converted. One to apartments, and one to a single family home. Both are beautiful now, and in great use!

Reactions: GON
In small town suburbia around here (mile square type towns, not endless sprawl), some of the older school buildings have been turned into office buildings. That seems to work well.

Reactions: GON
Not worth $60, let alone $60k. Interestingly, however, it's about half an hour from my in-laws. I could easily swing by one day and scope it out.

I was involved on one such renovation a few years ago. Slate Ridge Elementary school in Whiteford Md built in 1911. I was the plumbing contractor for the job. We turned it into apartments. I can't remember how many.
I do remember it being begun in a very cold winter. Everyone was freezing. No heat. In May you could walk into the basement and it must have been in the 40's. We called it the "ice box".

Very unusual and weird situation/ property to say the least. With single family home prices at record highs, and some indicators pointing to a very large surge in single family home prices if interest rates drop a couple points- wonder if some people may look at a property of this nature that are priced out of traditional homes. Not that this is any bargain at 60k- I think just roofing the place would more than the sales price.

BURBANK, Okla. (KOKH) — An old high school in Burbank, Oklahoma, has been listed for sale as a single-family home.

Listed for $60,000, the high-school-turned-home was originally constructed in 1924 and contains 17,408 square feet of living space sitting on a 1.76-acre lot. The residence is listed as a single-family home with five bedrooms and four bathrooms.
Hearing the radio it was a joke, and the listing was taken down.

There's an "abandoned" fire station in town. I always thought it would make a perfect home for a gear head. Large pull-thru garage, nice kitchen and lots of living space. Quick exit (with training).

Untitled-15.jpg

Back