Old news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Motor Oil Bible has been discussed here at length. You can do a search.

The information is fairly current, considering the date.

It's a good read, but like the author says the ratings are not gospel and shouldn't be taken as such.

Several oils that look weak in his rating are top "real world" performers, but he tells you that it's not a perfect gauge.

Good chart for general info at a glance.

It's good to see all the specs. in one document.

Just don't take his numerical ratings too seriously.

im reading the charts in the back and he claims all castrol products have a tbn of 5.0...
freak2.gif

sxg6: Perhaps someone can explain to us how a TBN of 5.0 can meet ACEA A3, ACEA B3 which is a stable, stay in grade, oil intended for use in high performance engines and/or extended drain intervals where specified by manufacturers,... I noticed on Castrol USA today that most of Castrol Syntecs meet those specifications, including the 10W-40 that I was researching. Perhaps it's a matter of its TBN being much more stable to begin with. I'll watch for what some of the real knowing ones come up with on this.

quote:

Originally posted by krholm:
sxg6: Perhaps someone can explain to us how a TBN of 5.0 can meet ACEA A3, ACEA B3 which is a stable, stay in grade, oil intended for use in high performance engines and/or extended drain intervals where specified by manufacturers,... I noticed on Castrol USA today that most of Castrol Syntecs meet those specifications, including the 10W-40 that I was researching. Perhaps it's a matter of its TBN being much more stable to begin with. I'll watch for what some of the real knowing ones come up with on this.

On page 142 of the 2-04 download, page 150 of the 4-21-04 download, he says that if the mfg didn't list the TBN, he used 5. His reasoning is that they should give this on the spec sheet. My opinion is that skews the rankings & explains why Castrol doesn't score very well in his system.

[ July 23, 2004, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: benjamming ]

ah, i just skimmed and didnt catch that
pat.gif

i agree with you, it does make his ratings flawed. i wish he tested red line as well.. unless he did and i just skimmed over that too
twak.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back