Old man's new Toyota Hilux

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are welcome, means he works for the city in NA English. When I lived in AU, council folks developed a program for our cat: we'd need to talk to our cat softly (without reprimanding too harshly to avoid psychological trauma to him) that it was a bad behaviour to go to other lady cats' back yards, beat up their suitors and take away all their food from their food plates. I am not making this up..
They take Gov seriously there. It was illegal to walk out with a knife on you in Melbourne.

He would be in trouble there

Yep, we're over governed alright. In Tasmania there are something like 29 councils, for 500,000 people! As for knives, it is indeed illegal to carry a dangerous article in public. We prefer not to be stabbed or shot!

Thanks 01ranger for the Pickup/Tacoma info. I love learning this stuff.

Here's a picture of the tray for those interested. It's actually surprisingly big! And parking next to an F250 earlier with a similar flat bed it was only a few inches bigger, mainly in width.

As for the engines the Aus Hilux gets the same 2.7 and 4.0 engines from the Tacoma plus the 3.0 TD.
I used to drive a 2.7 version that belonged to my old work and I wouldn't say there's much difference performance wise but you can definitely feel the extra low down torque of the TD! But yeah even the 2.7 is thirsty for it's size and doesn't use much less than the v6

29 mpg combined, 36 highway and 23 city

His buddy at work has one and he reckons he gets 900km to a tank on the highway. All I know is it cane with a full tank of fuel and the needle is still sitting above full after 140km!

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

His buddy at work has one and he reckons he gets 900km to a tank on the highway. All I know is it cane with a full tank of fuel and the needle is still sitting above full after 140km!

I could live with that!

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

I could live with that!

Is that in Australian, Canadian or American gallons?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Would like to see an engine like that offered in the US as a grocery getter tundra for mpg. Why arent they?

Maximum power kW 126

- Rpm for maximum power 3600

- Maximum torque Nm 360

- Rpm for maximum torque 1400

per website...how much hp and tq in SAE?

I have a stripped down 03 tundra. No frills reliable pickup.

I've wondered why Toyota hasn't used their 4.5L I6 in our Tundra. Outside of packaging I suspect it's because it couldn't possibly win the half-ton towing wars with so little hp. Nevermind that it could tow 5,000lb at trailer-tire speed limits more comfortably than its 400hp brethren, it simply "couldn't compete". If you can't maintain 70mph in top gear while climbing Pike's Peak, then clearly you are underpowered.

Most diesels can't meet US emissions standards and run on our junk swill we pass off for diesel.

Also since most trucks in this country are bought by car people who just want a truck, they don't understand how trucks react when you add loads to them, and want to travel like their Lexus at 70-80 all the time regardless of loading. So you get the HP wars and lots of useless HP to burn fuel up.

I wish GM for example would put their little 4 banger diesel in the base 1/2 ton, but that's a pipe dream.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Most diesels can't meet US emissions standards and run on our junk swill we pass off for diesel.

What specific parameters in US ULSD or even CARB diesel do you consider to make it "swill", and what diesel specs are required for diesel not to be "swill" for your use?

Cetane for starters its low in the states, and ULSD sucks if you have a fuel lubricated IP.

55-60 cetane rating would make most Mercedes diesels very happy.

In the marine world ValvTect is the best diesel you can get, and is pretty decent.

Last edited:
Europe started the whole ULSD movement by the way.

You understand the higher the cetane, the lower the aromatics and therefore the less energy released by unit volume, right?

And you understand what CARB diesel is, and what cetane improver additives are?

And you understand that Germany is the only country that requires WASA, made by BASF (what a surprise), in non-summertime grades of diesel? You knew there were sesonal diesel grades, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back