Old man rant. What happened to rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I always thought rock would be the dominate genre. I remember growing up listening to Tool, Chevelle, Disturbed, even Blink 182, Green Day and Linkin Park. Now all the new music sucks! The best I can find are Twenty-one Pilots and Panic! at the Disco. (which are great!) What happened to rock?

These songs are pretty darn good, but nothing like the 90's or 00's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I assume the likes of Five Finger Death Punch is too heavy for you?

I'm familiar with a lot of their covers but not anything original.

I was born in 94' (probably not a shocker for anyone here lol).

My favorite music is the 90's and early 00's. Alice In Chains, Audioslave, Godsmack, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, some Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots etc.

It has been going away lately but there's a couple Five Finger Deathpunch songs that are good, Highly Suspect, Shinedown, and Asking Alexandria are ok too.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I was born in 94' (probably not a shocker for anyone here lol).

My favorite music is the 90's and early 00's. Alice In Chains, Audioslave, Godsmack, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, some Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots etc.

It has been going away lately but there's a couple Five Finger Deathpunch songs that are good, Highly Suspect, Shinedown, and Asking Alexandria are ok too.

Agree with everything you posted but Limp Bizkit, but now I'm listening to Break Stuff. ...‚

I primarily listen to Octane on SiriusXM.

Beartooth, I Prevail, Any Given Sin, HELLYEAH, Adelitas Way, Motionless In White... They also play stuff like Chevelle, Tool, Alice In Chains, Metallica, and Disturbed among others. Nick1994 (who seems to also have great taste in music)posted a few other good bands they play. Basically old and new hard rock.

Edit - I have a very strong dislike for Volbeat and Deftones.

Last edited:
I was born in '83.....but what OP has posted here doesnt sound like a rock music to me
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
I was born in '83.....but what OP has posted here doesnt sound like a rock music to me
laugh.gif

Those are what I consider to be the best current songs out. Best rock songs of all time? It would be one of these three,

Well we are making some progress here in that topic
smile.gif

But first two songs you posted here....if that represents rock to you....let it be called post 00 [censored] rock...or whatever
smile.gif

I absolutely agree that today's music SUCKS!!!!! But we'll have to agree to disagree on who the good bands are.
23.gif
lol.gif

I've always been a fan of Def Lepard, Van Halen, Metallica, and a few others. I don't consider deep throating a microphone and screeching instruments to be "music".

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
If growing up listening to Tool, Chevelle, Disturbed, Blink 182, Green Day and Linkin Park means you are old, then I must be ancient!

Thats right!

I grew up on Boston, AC/DC, Journey, Van Halen and my all time favorite Def Leppard!

You guys are killing me. Never heard of those bands. What happened to Cream, Lynard Skynard, & The Rolling Stones?

Oh one more thing- "Get off my Lawn!"

lol.gif

Volbeat!
Some Ghost songs are pretty good.
Shinedown still cranks out some great stuff.
Greta Van Fleet sounds like vintage Zeppelin
Bad wolves are OK
The Glorious Sons

What happened to rock? You got old. So did I. Find it interesting that I still like the music I liked in my youth and don't even try to listen to what's current. And haven't turned to Lawrence Welk as I start thinking about retirement.

Alice Cooper, Steppenwolf, Cream, Yardbirds, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath.... Except for a few slight twitches and a mild case of tardive dyskinesia, I came out just fine listening to this stuff.

I agree kiddo, this new stuff is pretty bad. It's music for cannibals to eat by as far as I'm concerned.

Ray
lol.gif

Last edited:
I grew up on the classics-Led Zeppelin, Rush, older Boston, Black Sabbath (the Dio stuff was better), later Rolling Stones. Newer rock gets an A for effort, but a lot of it (Volbeat for example) sounds awfully derivative to me. Ghost, Greta Van Fleet, and Breaking Benjamin seem to show possibilities...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back