Old/inactive thread warning? see pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the "Similar Threads" thing being there, it casts a wide net and often people get caught in it unawares. Maybe they're new, maybe they didn't notice it was an old thread, maybe they did notice but decided their post was too good to keep quiet, maybe they were just swept up in the moment when they saw an interesting thread.... Who knows.

I was on another forum that would immediately lock an old thread if it got bumped. They'd also lock any new threads which asked the same old questions yet again. Eventually the forum died because it was impossible to introduce any new information or questions. "We discussed this back in 1998.... Please don't ask about it again!" LOCKED

I don't think we want that.

100% we do, because it clearly doesn't work. There's 10 year old threads popping up most days. Not sure how people find them and then just randomly comment on it. It'll be a thread about wiper blades from 2010 and then someone will just randomly find it and say "I use Trico wiper blades on my cars and they work great"...... So? It really doesn't make sense in my head, but it must in theirs.
Why does it bother you (anyone) that a thread is resurrected? If you don’t like it, pass on. Beats having 100 different threads on “best wiper blades” that one must sort through to find relevance. Sure, like someone posted earlier, there’s gonna be some that their M.O. is to find these types of aged threads, but a nanny warning won’t stop them, especially knowing it now bothers some people. I think most of these threads get resurrected by people doing searches for a subject, as do many times I hear “that subject has already been covered many times in here”. One can see how it becomes a no win scenario at times.

They are listed as similar threads below...many are very old
As mentioned in post #5, I spent some time looking at the "Similar threads" list at the bottom of many threads and the oldest I found was from 2018. Most of what I saw was maybe 1-2 years old. I think some of the super old threads get resurrected when someone does a Google search or a search on the board and find some 10+ year old thread.

I would think the Recent thread list can be set-up in the board software to only show threads that are X years old or newer.

As mentioned in post #5, I spent some time looking at the "Similar threads" list at the bottom of many threads and the oldest I found was from 2018. Most of what I saw was maybe 1-2 years old. I think some of the super old threads get resurrected when someone does a Google search or a search on the board and find some 10+ year old thread.

I would think the Recent thread list can be set-up in the board software to only show threads that are X years old or newer.
Funny I seen the same but on my cell a 2013 one popped up i bumped for this thread.

Trying to find the link
This one came up fresh

Why does it bother you (anyone) that a thread is resurrected? If you don’t like it, pass on. Beats having 100 different threads on “best wiper blades” that one must sort through to find relevance. Sure, like someone posted earlier, there’s gonna be some that their M.O. is to find these types of aged threads, but a nanny warning won’t stop them, especially knowing it now bothers some people. I think most of these threads get resurrected by people doing searches for a subject, as do many times I hear “that subject has already been covered many times in here”. One can see how it becomes a no win scenario at times.
Resurrecting a 10 year old thread is irrelevant, you have to scroll through years past old information to find the new question. It bumps to the top of the thread. Just like a new post would, so the number of threads on the topic doesn’t matter, as the 10 year old one would be hundreds of pages back.

Trying to find the link
This one came up fresh

An eight year-old thread which was then revived with the highly substantive and technically relevant:

Right on Pete 😜
Another one pops up under related threads.

At the very least if you take that thread for what it asks (your opinion) you didn't even give that.

Which perfectly illustrates my earlier point.

That is why you have an option to block me. Enough said.
I don’t block anyone. I’ve always believed that if you can’t properly respond to someone then you shouldn’t be here. First and foremost this is a technical site and posts should be technically relevant and purposeful, blocking someone is essentially an admission you can’t function in that environment.

I’ve had to admit I’m wrong on more than one occasion here, generally when I start wandering off from my technical skills. I don’t hide behind the block function.

I don’t block anyone. I’ve always believed that if you can’t properly respond to someone then you shouldn’t be here. First and foremost this is a technical site and posts should be technically relevant and purposeful, blocking someone is essentially an admission you can’t function in that environment.

I’ve had to admit I’m wrong on more than one occasion here, generally when I start wandering off from my technical skills. I don’t hide behind the block function.
I can respect that.

My opinion is that the threads should be available for reading and reference but closed to new comments once they are dormant for a set period determined by the moderators/owners. The thread could be linked for reference in a new thread. I don’t know if this is doable.

With the ever changing specs and certifications in oils and the automotive industry in general, many of these resurrected threads are not relevant today.

Resurrecting a 10 year old thread is irrelevant, you have to scroll through years past old information to find the new question. It bumps to the top of the thread. Just like a new post would, so the number of threads on the topic doesn’t matter, as the 10 year old one would be hundreds of pages back.
If you hit the "Jump to new" button it goes to the first new post. All threads work that way.

My opinion is that the threads should be available for reading and reference but closed to new comments once they are dormant for a set period determined by the moderators/owners. The thread could be linked for reference in a new thread. I don’t know if this is doable.

With the ever changing specs and certifications in oils and the automotive industry in general, many of these resurrected threads are not relevant today.
If that is the case, then anytime someone states something on the order of "We've discussed this before, see XXX thread" or "oh no, another XXX thread", etc., they should immediately be suspended or banned from forum use, because then begs the question: "what is the time limit for threads to be open, and how many can we have available at one time"?

Quote from a user in an active thread today:
If so I had to be the other way round since more pleats result in bigger
surface area, but I don't even buy that 'more restrictive' argument at all.

This, however I has aleady been discussed to death on this forum.

We are in the process of locking all threads that haven't been replied to in > 5 years. In the future, we may bring the age closer to the present, but for now we'll see how 5 years works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back