Old/inactive thread warning? see pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another xenforo forum I frequent has implemented an old thread warning that looks like this..
IF not too much work. it could be mightily helpful to warn people who get sent into an old topic by "similar threads" section etc.

oldthread.JPG

When you look at the "Similar threads" list at the bottom of every thread, you can look at the initial post date to see how long ago it was started. I looked at a couple dozen Similar threads lists and most of them are only a year or so old, but did find a few with older threads. See yellow boxes in snap shot below.

1638339232057.jpeg

I don't get the constant drama over old threads.
" A blast from the past" I find interesting.

The only issue I have are the constant complainers who feel it is their duty to blast anyone
reading or commenting on them.
And if you have to be warned some things are old you are pretty clueless.

Let's just erase all history over 2 years old then. Seems to be a trend these days.
More things to worry about than old threads.

I don't get the constant drama over old threads.
" A blast from the past" I find interesting.

The only issue I have are the constant complainers who feel it is their duty to blast anyone
reading or commenting on them.
And if you have to be warned some things are old you are pretty clueless.

Let's just erase all history over 2 years old then. Seems to be a trend these days.
More things to worry about than old threads.
Nearly every thread resurrection is caused by a non-substantive post that adds no value to the thread.

But I suppose if that's the majority of what someone posts on here then they may not see the issue.

I think a warning would be good. But you still might want to post , say a 1 year followup on a repair, or new car post or something worth a long term follow up.

Well, perhaps they should. Do we really need another type of nanny to ensure what should be the common sense of checking what you reply to? Not meant condescending, just asking.
100% we do, because it clearly doesn't work. There's 10 year old threads popping up most days. Not sure how people find them and then just randomly comment on it. It'll be a thread about wiper blades from 2010 and then someone will just randomly find it and say "I use Trico wiper blades on my cars and they work great"...... So? It really doesn't make sense in my head, but it must in theirs.

100% we do, because it clearly doesn't work. There's 10 year old threads popping up most days. Not sure how people find them and then just randomly comment on it. It'll be a thread about wiper blades from 2010 and then someone will just randomly find it and say "I use Trico wiper blades on my cars and they work great"...... So? It really doesn't make sense in my head, but it must in theirs.

For some it seems to be a modus operandi.

They are listed as similar threads below...many are very old

I have caught myself a few times almost reviving something.. just getting my daily bitog consumption with the first cup of coffee and boom I go from new thread to someones 2 year old similar thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back