Old/High Mileage Additive Recommendations for long trips

Hi Everyone,

I know the term "oil additive" is a risky topic to talk about. Some love them, some hate them. I was just wondering if anyone had some recommendations. Situation:

I have a couple of road trips planned this summer in my 1999 Suburban 350. She has 205k on her. I have been using Quaker State HM 10w-40 for about 5 years now and has only had AC Delco filters since new. 3K oil change intervals. She still runs so well. Its kind of hard to kill a SBC.

I know that the car is not brand new anymore, and is aging. Should I make the trip(s) using an oil additive or just stick to my regular oil/filter routine? I've never used additives before.... never really paid much attention to them at the parts store. Is there any out there that will actually "protect" the internals better than oil by it self?

Thanks for your response,
Cole.

I've not used additives before. I think nothing of hopping into any of my vehicles and running at 80mph until I get to my destination. That might be an hour away, or 4. Once a great while much farther.

I worry more about tire condition. And "everyone else on the road".

I've not used additives before. I think nothing of hopping into any of my vehicles and running at 80mph until I get to my destination. That might be an hour away, or 4. Once a great while much farther.

I worry more about tire condition. And "everyone else on the road".
Same here. I have no doubts on the old girl. Cruises at 85, with zero issues. She just got a new set of shoes and is floatin' like Cadillac.

All antiwear and detergent additives are already in the oil. Why would you want to add some other supplements which could potentially counteract with what's already in original oil. You could make things worse by throwing off the chemical balance of already highly formulated oil.

Keep using the same oil, dont use any oil additives, and I would stay away from hm oils either but the quaker state stuff is quite nice and strong and gentle with the seal conditioners.

Alot of these additives do more harm than good throwing off balances and such.

Keep using the same oil, dont use any oil additives, and I would stay away from hm oils either but the quaker state stuff is quite nice and strong and gentle with the seal conditioners.

Alot of these additives do more harm than good throwing off balances and such.
Thanks, I've been using Quaker state since new. She doesn't leak or burn a drop so I think that q-state is some pretty good stuff.

Thanks, I've been using Quaker state since new. She doesn't leak or burn a drop so I think that q-state is some pretty good stuff.
Yep its good alright, i've tested 10w30 stuff regular kind on my air cooled engines in the hot summer time, mowing 4 feet grass and didn't shear out like crazy, it didn't shear at all either.

I like to put fresh oil and filter prior to long road trips, since the oil already has it's own additives you're good to go. ;)

Same here. I have no doubts on the old girl. Cruises at 85, with zero issues. She just got a new set of shoes and is floatin' like Cadillac.
I know what you mean--I have a couple of cars that drive like that, and I'm told I need to go through the suspension to fix it.

With it being higher up in the miles I wouldn't hesitate to run a bottle of the product below, and it could be left in for the length of the oil change interval. Many well respected members on this board recommend this oil additive, which is how I learned about it.

I was running 15w40 Rotella in my Chevy Express conversion van with a 350 and way more miles than that. Would maybe be down half a quart over an entire day of running 70-80. I never saw the need for additives in it. My long trips were always in the summer so I ran the 15w40 without hesitation. Miss that old van.

I was running 15w40 Rotella in my Chevy Express conversion van with a 350 and way more miles than that. Would maybe be down half a quart over an entire day of running 70-80. I never saw the need for additives in it. My long trips were always in the summer so I ran the 15w40 without hesitation. Miss that old van.
I've been wanting to try out Rotella but the only thing I am concerned with is messing up my cats. Being that I live in CA those C.A.R.B. cats aren't cheap. I know that Rotella can destroy the catalytic converters, but what is the actuality of this happening...?

I've been wanting to try out Rotella but the only thing I am concerned with is messing up my cats. Being that I live in CA those C.A.R.B. cats aren't cheap. I know that Rotella can destroy the catalytic converters, but what is the actuality of this happening...?
Very slim chances in my opinion. I have run HDEO in most of my gas engines for years and never had an emissions issue other than an occasional O2 sensor that failed or something. Never replaced a cat on anything I own. My employer has run a 93 Ford with 300-I6 and a 96 Chevy with a 350 to well past 300k miles and never had an emissions issue running a cheap 15w40.

I like using liquid moly ceratec before a road trip.....to answer your question.
It can take 500kms to fully plate to the internals.

You are already using a fully formulated product, you aren't going to improve it by adding something else to it. Continue with what you've been doing, it has obviously been working.

Back